Rooster "taking advantage" of hens.....normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FloridaChik, Apr 2, 2011.

1. FloridaChik

FloridaChik New Egg

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks guys.........I think I will keep him separated for a while until the girls have a chance to recover. Hope their egg production doesn't go down. I know they will lay eggs without a rooster but sometimes disruption in the flock will cause them to stop laying. That's why I kept him in the pen where they can still see him.

2. dominiquePL

dominiquePL Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Poland
    OMG I wouldn't be able to take it - I adore my hens.

Good decision - keep him separated. Some roos are just too active - he would probably need at least 15 hens [​IMG]

3. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    i saw my juvenile (27wk ) dorking roo rape my wee pekin bantum today & she isnt even laying yet. i was too slow to get there & sink my foot up his rear.
    its the 1st time ive seen him do this & he has only been crowing for a couple of weeks.
    we do have an older roo ( over 1 yr old ) who is in moult atm & he isnt interested in mating.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'll go with not normal but somewhat common. Gentleman roosters belong with the flock. Chicken rapists belong in the freezer or the stew pot!

1 person likes this.
  5. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Lots of people keep the rooster penned and just turn him loose one day a week with the hens. That way they keep their back feathers in good condition.

I had a rooster like that and didn't know I could manage them this way. Everytime his favorite hens put their heads down to look at the ground he was on them. Tore up their back feathers. So it went on until some hens started refusing him. He beat the s*t out of them!!! I lost my best hen. He went bye-bye then. But if I'd known it was ok to pen him and just let out one day a week I would have kept him for chicks that year until I raised up another roo.

6. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:This little dance you speak of...is it him twirling around while stomping his feet?

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Exactly correct !! .........Pop

8. alcap

alcap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Not normal !

9. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Quote:I'll go with not normal but somewhat common. Gentleman roosters belong with the flock. Chicken rapists belong in the freezer or the stew pot!

I agree Delmar [​IMG] I have 3 roos and all are so awesome with the ladies it's amazing to watch them

Lisa202, yes you'll notice he will drop one side and possible a wing that's closest to the hen and do the "dance", lol. Looks silly to me but hey the ladies like it [​IMG]

10. Delmar

Delmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:That is one way to do it. They don't all have the same dance, but of coarse the nifty dancers get the prettiest girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by