Rooster tap dancing? *NOW WITH VIDEO*

Quote:
He's never been aggressive toward me before but the thought did cross my mind when I saw him dance in front of me so I started waving my arms and chased him a little to show him that I'm the boss.

He's showing off for the ladies.
If his dance is directed at you discourage it by walking into him as if you are the dominant one.
If it progresses you'll have to take other measures.

Quote:
He's never been aggressive toward me before but the thought did cross my mind when I saw him dance in front of me so I started waving my arms and chased him a little to show him that I'm the boss.

Yes, good reaction.

I have two children ages 6 and 3. The chickens free range a couple of hours a day. If this rooster attacks one of my kids I'll have to give him the boot. I do like him, but his crowing has gotten out of hand and he's mounting one of my hens repeatedly every day. I only have 5 hens so it may be too hard on them. BTW he was supposed to be a hen. I didn't give him away because of the bad rep that roosters get and I thought I'd give him a chance. We do like him, but if he's going to be bad I'll be looking for a nice new home for him. The catch is, he won't be going to someone who plans on eating him. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

my roo dances all the time and when he puts one wing down it is almost like he trips and dances at the same time.. he keeps the other roos away from me and his hens..and i can pet him but not the other roos. they bite. he is a very good roo and takes good care of his hens.. he even hunts for bugs and calls them over and drops it for them to eat.

Quote:
There is a very big dominance component to it. He's expecting you to comply, just like the hens do. Advance on him instead. He needs to learn you are not a hen and won't be under his control. The young roos just gotta test their boundaries it seems.

Here's a video of Pauly tap dancing. Sorry for the shaking, I was dancing too.
tongue.png

One of my two 17 week old Barnevelder cockerels just started tap dancing like this next to the hens. This morning, I thought there was something wrong with him... I thought he had a broken leg at first and then I realized he must be courting. He may have tried to mount one of the Buff Brahmas yesterday because she was making loud noises, crowding into a corner under the coop and would not go into the coop when he tried to herd her in there. But when he finally went in without her, she went on in behind him.. The other cockerel is bigger but this one seems to be the dominant male. He crows while the other one doesn't and he acts more mature and regal while the other one acts like an adolescent, bumbling boy. Neither one has ever shown aggression towards each other or towards me. If that EVER happens, it'll be the stew pot lickity split!

I DO go out there in the covered run with a chair once or twice a week and sit and cut blueberries or cranberries in half and hand feed all 15 chickens while they crowd around pecking at my jeans for the next bite, or fly up into my lap to try and get into the bowl. Hopefully that makes me friendly AND dominant since I'm the one with the delicacies...and I'm the one who chooses who gets the next morsel!

Back
Top Bottom