Rooster Tie Out

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tdgill, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

thinking of trying the tie out. Sounds pretty cool and humane and easier than a new pen or not going out with the girls at all. Thinking I'll try this, at least until I get more hens [​IMG]

any users?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They're wonderful as long as your yard is protected and you have some type of house (barrel, a-frame teepee, box, ect..) for the rooster to get out of the weather.

[​IMG]

I currently have 6 birds on tie cords.

3. tdgill

wow cool! six birds on ties. fenced yard here with my berner mix dog hanging out too. yes I will have shelter and food and water within reach. I would imagine things can get spilled though...hmmm. Just keeping my options open. I hate seeing my hens losing feathers and havent decided how I should work things. Except getting more chickens of course. How do you do it with 6 birds on ties? what do you do for food and waterers.

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I have "chicken set" for a man with 50 birds on tie cords. They do a good job. Give it a shot.

5. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    Just make sure you Dont leave enough cord for your roo to get behind the T-pee,

6. tdgill

how do you do the water and food... the same way? out of range that he can't go around it, just UP TO it?

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I feed by tossing the food on the ground. I have seen folks attach a feeder cup to the teepee or barrel. The waterers I use are those round black rubber tubs that you can get at farm & ranch stores or most feed stores. Just place near the edge of the circumference of the tie cord range. I tried using gallon jugs, but they got knocked over when half the water is gone.

Watch for long grasses or sticks that get tangled up in the swivel and cord also. Make sure he's not near any shrubs or trees with low hanging branches or he'll try to roost in them and get hung up.

8. tdgill

gotcha. thanks so much everyone [​IMG]

shoot i just saw somewhere what the teepee is...

pretty simple really, get you a 2X4, two sheets of tin (however long you want).. Screw or nail the tin to the board, then you just stand it up. You may want to only use these if you don't have high winds or put them around trees/other things to keep the wind off of them as much.. I prefer barrels mostly, but Tee-pees really come in handy too.

still not sure how this works. duh

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. tdgill

I suppose I could also use a tractor for the hens and just let the roo roam.... decisions decisions. Its always fun to learn something new though. Never heard of a tie cord before...

10. omaeve

omaeve Chillin' With My Peeps

where do you all get your tie outs I would like to make mine if anyone has a tutorial...my girlfriend had gotten a banty and her large rooster was beating him up she got the tied to the corners of the run and all the hens prefered the banty. so big meanie was culled now[​IMG] that he was no longer needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by