Rooster Triggers

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
So I've got a question about rooster agression. I've noticed 2 of my boys have certain triggers that make them aggressive. I know what they are now, so is it better to force them to accept it when I can easily just avoid causing them, or to just avoid causing them in the first place.

Train them! You are top being in that coop/run, and they have to accept that. My cockerel is somewhat the same way. He is worst in first thing in the morning. Ornery? Horny? Not a morning chicken? Every now and then (like today), he rushes my feet, hackles out. Yes, I was wearing a different shirt than I usually do, but TOO BAD, BUCKO!

When he does this, I "peck" him on the back of the head, or back, or where I can reach, with my fingers. I also tell him in no uncertain terms, BACK OFF! If he charges again, I repeat this. When he walks away, I back out of the run and leave, watching him as I go. Game over, I won. He doesn't have to like me, but he has to respect me and my space.

Just avoiding the conflict might work for a while. But there may come a time when he becomes aggressive and you don't know what triggered it. Or someone else may do something that sets him off. Or he may develop a new trigger. Or the stars misalign. No way to know for sure.

Crazy, crazy roosters. We currently have 8, and three of them go ballistic at an orange feed cup I sometimes use to fill feeders. Easy enough to switch to a blue one.
The only guy I have repeat trouble with is a frizzled d'uccles, right at a year old. We made it through puberty with only a few nips, but he is getting a little wild again. He only ever bites me when I call them back to their coop and give them treats; seems like he gets too excited and has to go for my hand. So I pick him up and hold him against me when I can, or flat down on the ground occasionally. Then he is fine for a week or more. 🤷‍♀️
It works for us, but then I don't have any that go for my legs!

So I've got a question about rooster agression. I've noticed 2 of my boys have certain triggers that make them aggressive. I know what they are now, so is it better to force them to accept it when I can easily just avoid causing them, or to just avoid causing them in the first place.

I think it depends on what the triggers really are.

Having a good and somewhat trusty relationship with my roosters, I would not needlessly and deliberately force aggression just to prove me superior.
Keeping in mind that a roosters behaviour is mostly driven by genetics and hormones I would not stress them out on purpose. Their little brain is just not able to cope with some situations other than puffing up.

There are certain things that will upset almost all chickens:

Bright red, orange or pink and wild graphic patterns are known to cause stress and aggression.

Last edited:
I think it depends on what the triggers really are.

Having a good and somewhat trusty relationship with my roosters, I would not needlessly and deliberately force aggression just to prove me superior.
Keeping in mind that a roosters behaviour is mostly driven by genetics and hormones I would not stress them out on purpose. Their little brain is just not able to cope with some situations other than puffing up.

There are certain things that will upset almost all chickens:

Bright red, orange or pink and wild graphic patterns are known to cause stress and aggression.
One of the males (they're both cockerels, one was born early April and the other late may) doesn't like our jugs we use for water. They're old cat litter jugs with the wrapper still, but the wrapper has a huge red circle. If I pick him up and use the jug he doesn't prorest, but he will go after the jug if he's loose in his pen. He doesn't care about any other type of water dispense and doesn't care if I'm bending to eye level to mess with him or his things. He just hates the jug. Admittedly he pecked me once, but I'm not sure it was on purpose. I'm probably just giving him the benefit of the doubt, it was hard enough to leave a mark that still hasn't faded, but no blood was drawn and I gave no indication I even noticed it. I had the jug next to my knee where he pecked that time, and that is the most agression he ever showed to me. He has jumped to grab the wrapper at the res circle though

My other one is the younger one and his dad is a sweetheart (don't know the first one's father since he was a hatchery chick). He'll peck my hand lightly when I go to grab him and it's dark out. This I feel is mostly because he has crappy eyesight that dark. Once I have him in hand he stops and doesn't fight and it isn't a hard grabbing peck, it's like when a chick accidentally hits your hand instead of the food you're holding.

Both are perfectly behaved males when I don't have their triggers in the equation. They get out of my way and don't try to intimidate me.

Seems like you have some nice roosters/cockerels.

I just talk to my chickens (roosters and hens) when I go out in the dark to pick them from the roost for preventative health inspections. So they know it is me and not some predator grabbing them and all is fine.

Regarding the offending jug I think I would just tear off the wrapper and see if he will be o.k. The peck you described seems to be accidentally and not directed to you but the offending jug wrapper.

AHA! I had heard about red, but not orange, pink, and wild graphic patterns! Easy enough for me to not wear anything like that. Yes, I agree, it is a good idea to avoid anything you know sets a cockerel/rooster off, but if I happen to wear something that upsets him, I will still make him behave.

Within moderation. I don't think it is a big deal to change out a red feed container for a green one, have done that myself.

However, too many posts on here, tend to blame the human for the roosters' behaviors. So if it is just that one thing...maybe. But sometimes that is just the first thing in a rooster going down the aggressive path.

So with limits.

Mrs K

Within moderation. I don't think it is a big deal to change out a red feed container for a green one, have done that myself.

However, too many posts on here, tend to blame the human for the roosters' behaviors. So if it is just that one thing...maybe. But sometimes that is just the first thing in a rooster going down the aggressive path.

So with limits.

Mrs K
So far I really do think those were all they've shown aggression towards. And luckily all the pecks from the night one and the accidental one from my other male were light enough I didn't show I even felt them. I'm sure that alone helped to stop early ideas that pecks will make me leave

So with limits.
I think this sums it up well. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom