Rooster Trouble

cc chickens

Chirping
Jul 17, 2016
Alabama
My flock is 13 weeks old, & my roos have just learned to crow & Ive noticed that they have been aggressive toward my hens by pulling neck & side feathers. When the come to eat or even during treat time they are bullies. Is this natural or is this what to be expected?

Young cockerels are like teen age boys - their hormones drive them a little nuts. How many cockerels are in the flock?

That's about 5 more cockerels than you need. Very likely they will soon start gang breeding your pullets and wreaking havoc in your flock.

That's about 5 more cockerels than you need.  Very likely they will soon start gang breeding your pullets and wreaking havoc in your flock. 
we thought we were getting straight pullets but ended up with a straight run & poof 7 roos :( so what would be the best solution?

Well you could eat them, give them away or create a 'rooster pen' for all of the roosters. Sometimes penning them away from the hens works, and sometimes it doesn't.

we thought we were getting straight pullets but ended up with a straight run & poof 7 roos
sad.png
so what would be the best solution?

I would pen them up separate, and then pick the best and friendliest ones that you wanted to keep for breeding. Eat or sell the rest.

Back
Top Bottom