Rooster trouble

I think I made the mistake of handling my two cockerels too much. I already had to rehome one to a family that didn’t mind aggressive roos. I’m gonna try and retrain this one, but a nice dinner may be coming my way lol
I always mostly ignore my boys as they are growing. They stay away from me and never turn aggressive no matter the breed. It's 100% successful for me.

I’ve been wanting to get a few silkies and a rooster would be great just to play around with some mixed breeds. I know silkies are known for being nice, so do you have to worry about handling the silkie roos like a normal breed?

No, why not just pick him up and hold him every time he tries to go at you. Put him back down gently. If he goes at you again, pick him up again, and keep doing it until he gets it, which won't be too long. It is easy.

People have reported having nasty Silkie roosters too, although they tend to be on the nicer side usually. They can be very difficult in a mixed flock, or in real heat or cold.
I also don't make pets out of my cockerels. And trying to grab an attacking bird? If you have very good reflexes, and don't mind getting hurt, go for it! Otherwise, beekissed's article gives good advice.
Better yet, only have nice boys! I've decided that 'three strikes and you're out' is as far as I might go with a rooster, and I'm talking about early 'dancing', or thinking bad thoughts at me.
So far, this year's cockerels have been saintly here. Their daddies and granddaddies were nice boys, and good genetics matters.
Mary

People have reported having nasty Silkie roosters too, although they tend to be on the nicer side usually. They can be very difficult in a mixed flock, or in real heat or cold.
I also don't make pets out of my cockerels. And trying to grab an attacking bird? If you have very good reflexes, and don't mind getting hurt, go for it! Otherwise, beekissed's article gives good advice.
Better yet, only have nice boys! I've decided that 'three strikes and you're out' is as far as I might go with a rooster, and I'm talking about early 'dancing', or thinking bad thoughts at me.
So far, this year's cockerels have been saintly here. Their daddies and granddaddies were nice boys, and good genetics matters.
Mary
Exactly! I'm not about to try to grab a cockerel or rooster coming at me spurs first. Nope! I'd rather they keep their distance in the first place.

I’ve been wanting to get a few silkies and a rooster would be great just to play around with some mixed breeds. I know silkies are known for being nice, so do you have to worry about handling the silkie roos like a normal breed?
I just discovered my partridge Silkie (named Silkie ;)) is a cockerel.
He’s 4 months old.
He’s still young but he’s never been aggressive with me at all. Not even a little peck.
He was raised with a bantam Cochin (cockerel) and 5 NNs (3 cockerels & 2 pullets).
He’s the only one that will let me pick him up.
The others don’t want me to pick them up.
All my problems are with the other boys lol.

I tried to convince my 3 month old NN cockerel to change his ways, for about 3 weeks now, but unfortunately he just didn’t understand that he needed to listen to me. Today was the day I had to follow through with what I knew I’d have to do with my extra cockerels; however, I thought I had another 3 weeks. I just posted the ordeal I have endured for the past week and a half with this bird. It is titled “The Deed is Done.” It is strange how five cockerels can all be treated the exact same way and four of them be the best of the best and one goes all out rogue. Seriously!
I hope the best for you and your rooster, but after just having been through what I have my bet is on a tasty chicken casserole for your family. Mine is in the fridge as I type waiting on a good Wednesday dinner.

Back
Top Bottom