Rooster trying to mate 10 week olds??

Justanother Brooke

Songster
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Goldendale, WA
Help, I have a very randy rooster (about 6 months old or so), and for the last two weeks, he's been jumping my poor little 6 month old pullets without warning. I have three 10 week old pullets in a separate coop, and have been free ranging them together with supervision for the last couple of day. Well today he pinned my orpington down and was trying to mate her. I immediately broke them up, and put the little girls back in their coop, but I was thinking about moving them to the bigger coop next week...now I'm not so sure. She's terrified, and I definitely don't want her or the other two little ones hurt.
Is this normal?

Perhaps instead of removing your hens, you could remove the rooster. Put him in rooster jail? All of my roosters go through this annoying stage. I think its just them being immature (your rooster and hens). Both sexes need practice to get the whole mating thing down. As your rooster matures he will settle down quite a bit. If he's bothering the pullets that much, id lock his little butt away until the girlies are willing to accept his advances. I used to have a very large BO/EE roo that was awful to his pullets when he was young, so I locked him away where he couldn't terrorize the girls- he found a tree stump to terrorize instead. And believe me, he would "mate" that stump every chance he got. I reintergrated with the flock when he matured, and he was a perfect gentleman. Good luck!

Quote:
lau.gif

Cracking up about the tree stump! So far I haven't caught Abe mating any inanimate objects, ha ha!
I also wonder if the fact that we currently have 3 cockerels make them worse? Like a competition? They've been having crowing contests, and I have noticed that Abe (the one that's really bad) always runs to the girls as soon as they come out of the coop, before the other boys even have a chance.
Next weekend we will be butchering the two extra roos, so hopefully there will be a little more peace!

Well.....the poor guy only had the stump. I guess he figured he'd get it from wherever he could
idunno.gif
. Your other little cockerals may very well be the problem. Again, good luck.

Back
Top Bottom