Rooster trying to teach my dog to attack

winky

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
So, I have this wonderful Border Terrier who is great with the chickens. He's not the least bit interested in them. They have been sharing the same space all spring and summer without a single incident. However, I just got an adult rooster who tries to attack the dog every chance he gets. Yesterday, the poor dog snapped after being ambushed by the rooster. He had the rooster by the neck and pinned to the ground. He let go when I told him to. 30 minutes later the dumb rooster was at him again. This time the dog ran away because he didn't want to get in trouble. One of these days the dog is going to defend himself when I'm not there and he's going to kill the rooster. Then he might decide killing chickens is fun and my days of free-ranging will be over. Is it possible to teach this rooster to leave the dog alone or should I get rid of the rooster before he spoils everything?

First of all welcome to BYC.
big_smile.png
I definitely see your problem. My understanding is that you can train a rooster with a squirt bottle of water or a garden hose, but the fact that your dog grabed it by the neck and that didn't help, seems ominous! My dog killed one of my young pigeons once. He got in so much trouble he never bothered them again. Hopefully you will get somemore responses.

I'd lose the roo. You can teach a dog to ignore the chickens, but that is a bit unfair when the roo is actively attacking the dog. And, yes, the dog could decide that he needs to attack the chickens to protect himself before they get him.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the replies! So. this is my first rooster. Is this typical rooster behavior or do most roosters make the distinction between the friendly family dog and the predatory dog, coyote, raccoon etc. coming to attack the flock? He is also pretty aggressive toward people... not attacking yet but making threatening postures when you walk by. I usually just bulldoze my way past him and act like I don't recognize his challenges and he doesn't pursue it further. I would rather have a rooster that likes me. All my hens are very friendly and affectionate. Can I expect the same with a rooster?

Oh, and I totally agree... the rooster is gone. I won't have him ruining my wonderful non-chicken-eating dog. Just wondering if I can expect anything different from another rooster.

What breed is the rooster? There are nice laid back roos out there. I have 5 right now, and only 1 is getting aggressive. This time of year everyone is thinning their flocks, so there are lots of free good roos for the taking. I have an extra buff brahma guy that we will be re-homing, and most people would just like them to have a good home. Look around on BYC and Craig's List.

Quote:
And keep in mind, if the dog is hesitant about defending himself, the roo could very easily injure or even blind the dog.

Have you considered raising a very young roo around the dog? I raise all my chickens around my pets so they all get along, I wouldn't introduce an adult, especially a roo, to my happy little harmonious home I have going on.

He's a Rhode Island Red. I got him on Craigslist as a free rooster looking for a good home. The previous owner said he got along well with dogs. I would like a rooster that is either a Welsummer, RIR, Buff Orpington, Americauna, Wyandott, or speckled Sussex because those are the breeds of hens I have. Of these breeds which would be most and least likely to be aggressive? I wonder if I would I be better off raising one from a chick?

Back
Top Bottom