Rooster turned aggressive

yes there are aggressive roosters, and I've culled 2 for it. But youngsters like this one are not lost causes, in my view. Don't feel daft flapping your arms - you're talking chicken, as that's what they all do to show dominance! A broom is indeed useful if you prefer to keep him at more than arm's length.
Do you know how old he is? Does he chase the hens or dance for them?

Hold him like a football for about 30mins, & carry him around with you. Give him treats while doing this.

One thing I never do, is kick/hit a mean cockerel. Just makes things worse.

Sometimes there's some that can't be trained(I have one) those usually end up in the pot. He gets the okay to stay since he's pretty, & the only Sumatra Rooster I have right now.

My training usually starts from 1 day old, & while they're growing up. I handle them frequently, & talk to them. I pet them, & stroke them.

yes there are aggressive roosters, and I've culled 2 for it. But youngsters like this one are not lost causes, in my view. Don't feel daft flapping your arms - you're talking chicken, as that's what they all do to show dominance! A broom is indeed useful if you prefer to keep him at more than arm's length.
Do you know how old he is? Does he chase the hens or dance for them?
Our rooster was 5 months old and raised with the 20 hens as a baby chick. He literally tore the hems back open and was extremely aggressive. He was a Golden Commit. We are looking to replace him as we do want some baby chicks, we have some hens that want to brood.

the two I had to cull were home raised too (though not home bred; hatching eggs bought in). Some are just nasty by nature, sadly. Others, thankfully, are wonderful :D

Hold him like a football for about 30mins, & carry him around with you. Give him treats while doing this.

One thing I never do, is kick/hit a mean cockerel. Just makes things worse.

Sometimes there's some that can't be trained(I have one) those usually end up in the pot. He gets the okay to stay since he's pretty, & the only Sumatra Rooster I have right now.

My training usually starts from 1 day old, & while they're growing up. I handle them frequently, & talk to them. I pet them, & stroke them.
The last couple days I’ve been trying to method of showing my dominance and authority and it doesn’t seem to work. Today ive took a different approach and sat on the floor with some treats, amazingly he didn’t attack me. He even let me sit with him for around 20 minutes whilst he lay in the sun, he even started to shut his eyes and drift of! I would like to try pick him up but I don’t want to scare him. Would sitting with him each day help?

The last couple days I’ve been trying to method of showing my dominance and authority and it doesn’t seem to work. Today ive took a different approach and sat on the floor with some treats, amazingly he didn’t attack me. He even let me sit with him for around 20 minutes whilst he lay in the sun, he even started to shut his eyes and drift of! I would like to try pick him up but I don’t want to scare him. Would sitting with him each day help?
A little scare, isn't a bad thing. Pick him up whenever you can.

Yes, sitting with him can work too. I've never tried it.

Thankyou for your help, I went out again just now and could see him approaching me in an aggressive way. I stood still and made myself big, I then flapped my arms around (which I felt a bit stupid doing 🤣) and he very quickly left me alone. Would continuing to do this let him know who’s in charge and stop him attacking?
It will work until one day it doesn't. Perhaps he has settled in and wants to get down to business.Its up to you to convince him you aren't a threat but be prepared for an attack.
Hi, I need some advice please. I introduced a rooster to my flock around a month ago as i heard of the benefits of getting one. He’s been very calm the whole month up until around a week ago. He’s suddenly turned aggressive and we can’t figure out why. Sometimes he will be fine with humans but sometimes he will just randomly attack us (completely unprovoked). I’d hate to get rid of him, this would be a complete last resort, is there anything I can do to stop him attacking us? ThanksView attachment 2837115
It might help to describe the attacks and what happened leading up to each one if he didn't attack anyone for almost a month but you've had multiple attacks in just a week .
Perhaps some else's actions are setting him off? Thanks!

he was quiet while settling in; now he is ready to assume command of the flock (including you). You need to establish that you're the boss. He looks young, spurs barely begun, so there may be an overflowing of testosterone at the moment too. Sometimes an aggressive bird just has to go, but I'd try a bit of training first. There are probably quite a lot of threads and articles on that topic for you to read.

Personally I have found a swift boot, face on to the chest, enough to lift them into the air and propel them backwards, works well to stop a frontal challenge. Keeping your eye on him and moving to confront him front on avoids a flank or rear challenge. Never run away from him. If he won't back down, grab him by the legs and carry him round upside down for a while. If this doesn't work after a few times, I'd get rid of him and try again with a new roo - there are lots of really nice ones out there. Good luck!
Thats great advice, though i wouldnt reslly recommend catrying them upside down for a while, the reason they stay calm like that is because its blocking their air flow, and they could die like that. I usually hold mine under my arm a tight grab on the wings, that always calms him down

Back
Top Bottom