Rooster turned on hen and scalped her

This type of scalping injury is fairly common in chickens. She will need to be kept separated while she is healing. I would spray it with either saline, Vetericyn, or half strengthHibiclens and water, and then apply plain antibiotic ointment twice a day. Keep her away from flies. Make sure that she is drinking water, and try to encourage her to eat. Hopefully, she hasn’t suffered any brain damage. It will take weeks to heal, but most do recover eventually.

Thanks! I plan on keeping her inside as long as she needs, and by then Mr. Rooster will be long gone.

Honestly, if the wound is clean and can get the bleeding under control, she should be fine if she's isolated. I've had multiple quail that looked this bad heal up fine and friendlier because of the one on one XD
That’s reassuring to hear! I know she’ll get extra spoiled inside, I just cut open a fresh water melon just to try and get her to eat 😅

This might be a stupid question, but how to I get the ointment to stay on? I got some Vetericyn for her, and tried putting Neosporin on, but it just slid right off. I think I got a very thing layer on, but it doesn’t want to stay put

This might be a stupid question, but how to I get the ointment to stay on? I got some Vetericyn for her, and tried putting Neosporin on, but it just slid right off. I think I got a very thing layer on, but it doesn’t want to stay put
The Vetericyn is fine to use.
With a wound like that I found that I needed to "warm" the Neosporin a bit between my fingers so it will stay on, but with it being raw, the spray may be better to use for a few days.
Once it starts scabbing over, the Neosporin can help keep it moist and "flexible" so the scab isn't always "cracking when she moves her neck.

I just wanted to update this post. I used the Vetericyn spray and kept her inside, and she is doing so much better! New skin has already grown over, and hopefully tomorrow she can get back outside.

For some reason being in the crate seemed to make her want to go broody 🙄 which isn’t the end of the world, but a little annoying, because she is my best layer. But I’ll let her do it, because after all she’s been through, I think she’s earned it.

I just wanted to update this post. I used the Vetericyn spray and kept her inside, and she is doing so much better! New skin has already grown over, and hopefully tomorrow she can get back outside.

For some reason being in the crate seemed to make her want to go broody 🙄 which isn’t the end of the world, but a little annoying, because she is my best layer. But I’ll let her do it, because after all she’s been through, I think she’s earned it.

Oh that's so fantastic!!!!

Thanks for an update. Glad she is healing. If you don’t want more chicks this time of the year, I would not let her set, but break her. This is normally done in a pen or dog crate (LOL) with no bedding. I use an outdoor covered pen which is tall enough to put in a roost to get them up off the ground. I scatter a little scratch grains and scrambled egg along with their usual feed for interest. A friend normally would be good, but she needs to be healed first.

Glad she's doing better!
I agree, if you are wanting her to set, then break her.

Back
Top Bottom