Rooster turned on hen and scalped her

Thanks for an update. Glad she is healing. If you don’t want more chicks this time of the year, I would not let her set, but break her. This is normally done in a pen or dog crate (LOL) with no bedding. I use an outdoor covered pen which is tall enough to put in a roost to get them up off the ground. I scatter a little scratch grains and scrambled egg along with their usual feed for interest. A friend normally would be good, but she needs to be healed first.

I’ll probably let her hatch a few eggs. I’d be pretty happy to have a few of her chicks, she’s one of my favorites. I let her outside for a little bit today so she could see the rest of the flock (separated by a fence). I do have a very docile silkie that would be a good friend for her. They get along very well. I still have to get rid of the rooster before I can safely move her outside. Someone is supposed to be getting him this weekend :fl

You'd be surprised how well this type of wound can heal with proper first aid and a squirt of blu-kote (any color except for red). Try to not isolate her for too long from the flock as the longer that she's out of sight, out of mind, the further she slips down the pecking order.

I definitely didn’t expect it to heal that quick! I let her outside to see the others for a little bit today (separated by a fence), and I’ll start doing that a couple times a day. Hopefully that will help. I’d like to get her moved back to the coop as soon as the rooster is gone. He should be gone this weekend. I hate having to cull, but if the person who wants him backs out, that may be what I have to do.

Back
Top Bottom