rooster, twisting neck to left, acting different- pictures added

Another thing popped in my mind right now.......how is your feed? Is it fresh or stale smelling? Bad feed can make birds do that, toxin poisoning.

Bless your hubby for searching the stores for this stuff. Jeez, when you are looking for it, it does not come up easy on your end.

One thing you want to be careful about is putting liquids down their throats.. actually you want to make sure it goes down the throat and not into the lungs... I would just dribble the water along the beak, they'll drink it that way too. let us know how he looks in the morning.

i hope he's okay
fl.gif
i don't know, but could it be a calcium def.? rickets, i mean? i don't know. good luck, anyways!

Quote:
feed seems fine, we only feed them enough for one day at a time and I checked the container we store the feed in and the feed smells fresh

Hi, I have a hen that does this. She acts fine lays her egg scratches and all, but when she sits down or roosts she does this for a while. Then she settles in and holds her head up fine. I gave vitimins too but didn't make a difference. She is over a year old now and is normal acting besides doing the upside down neck thing. Good luck

We have a roo that started doing this about a month ago. I found him in the evening of a very windy day, so we think ours might have gotten hit in the head/neck with something and caused damage. Tried the vitamin route, no change, but he feeds and takes care of himself, but gets beat up if he is put in the coop, so he has become a barn chicken, but I caught him chasing one of the older cats today, so apparently he doesn't feel to bad.

He's sleeping now and his head is relaxed, not tucked way under or anything, just relaxed.

thanks for the stories of chickens who do fine like this guys

and thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm going to continue vit E capsules, prednisone, dripping vitamin water on side of beak ever hour

He hasn't eaten yet, which worries me.

Will keep posted

Look up "wry neck" It is due to vitamin deficiency -- the Poly-vi-sol (lovely husband) is a good choice. Some have success with Vitamin E and one of the B vitamins, but I don't know off hand which one.

Please keep us updated on him -- he's beautiful.

Jenny

well, good news is that he's still alive this morning, which supports that its wry neck and not something worse. Poor guy tried to crow this morning when he heard the other boys outside. It was not a pretty site or sound. He did eat a little on his own this morning - scrambled egg and watered chick crumbles.

Back
Top Bottom