rooster, twisting neck to left, acting different- pictures added

So sorry to hear that. You did your best and that should give you some comfort
hugs.gif

What happened to your rooster - did you successfully treat him/find out what the problem was - mine has exactly the same symptoms. Any info gratefully received.

Dawn

I noticed this is a old post but I have a 5 month old silkie rooster doing this, I thought he may of had too much feather fluff around his eye but he is getting worse, did your rooster recover?

Last edited:
I had 3 cases of wry neck in my flock . I followed the formula from browneggblueegg.com. go to the site, in search look up crook neck, give it a read. it specifically speaks of Silkies but applies to all wry neck birds. all my birds did recover. it took about a month each time. when it comes time for you to stop the prednisone MAKE SURE HE IS WEANED OFF SLOWLY. giving smaller and smaller and even smaller amounts at a time. if he's not weaned off it can shock his system. my routine was give vitamin E caps, polyvisol with out iron, small amount of selenium ( larger amounts can be toxic, prednisone, and poultry vitamin B. my cases were severe each time. mine couldn't eat by themselves in the beginning they had to be fed by and and watered , they couldn't walk, they were doing flips. This regiment brought them out. I do hope this helps you out. Remember patients is a must. it DOES take time to heal so try not to get discouraged. I'm sure with your supportive care he will be just fine. How I administered the medicine was mix all of it (grind pills to powder, poke open the vitamin E )mix together in scrambled eggs. They love the eggs. the poultry vitamin b was placed into the water. I found by doing this it was Much easier to dose the bird and they got a full dose each time.plus eating the eggs was good for them too. good luck and hope he gets well soon.

Stargazing. vitamin B, (thiamine) deficiency is clinically and morphologically manifested with paralysis of limbs and muscle atrophy, beginning from the flexors of toes and ascending towards the extensors of legs, wings and the neck. The chickens acquire a specific posture with flexed legs and the head drawn back (stargazing). As hypovitaminosis B, causes a severe anorexia, thiamine supplementation to the drinking water is advised until the recovery of acute deficiency and thereafter, the vitamin could be added to the forage.

Back
Top Bottom