rooster, twisting neck to left, acting different- pictures added

rooster doing poorly today. Much more lethargic, pulls his head away when I try to give him water. Has not eaten since early yesterday. I'm not holding out much hope. I started forcing water instead of drizzling it. I'm being careful to give small amounts and let him swallow, but I actually have to put the bulb in his mouth to get him to drink anything. Its sad to watch him waste away. He does not appear to be in pain, but its so hard to tell.

I hope this isn't too late, but you generally have to go to the pharmacist at your pharmacy and ask for the poly-visol without iron...they keep it behind their counter. This in my opinion would be far better than chick vitamins. I've used it on turkeys with really good success.

Good luck and I hope he pulls through.

How did he do? Did your rooster get better? Mine had similar symptoms with the neck twisting and I also tried polyvisol and vitamin E but he passed away yesterday...He was also on Purina layer feed. Hope you had better luck.

he's still alive, but not doing well. I am beginning to think a head injury might be involved. His right eye was squinty when this first started, then it began to swell shut. Its opening again now, but looks like its infected. We are trying to decide if its in his best interest to put him down. He does not appear to be getting better and has gotten worse the last few days. He's not eating or drinking on his own at all.
hit.gif

I am so sorry to hear this as I am sure it's an extremely hard decision for you all. You have tried your best thats for sure.. just remember we're thinking of you.
hugs.gif

well, Stevie Wonder is still alive, not getting better, but not getting worse. Feeding him egg yolk in addition to the vitamins.

We cleaned out his eye and it was not infected, just some wood chips that had gotten stuck there.

Well he sure is a wonder! glad to here his eye is okay. Is he eating on his own now or are you still hand feeding him, we're still pulling for him.
hugs.gif
thanks for letting on know how he's doing

well, Stevie finally died today. He never got back to eating on his own. It was hard to watch such a proud boy waste away. We tried tube feeding for a few days, but he never really got much stronger with this. Wish I could have saved him and he put up a good fight.
hit.gif

Hopefully our young boys will step up and fill his shoes soon.

Back
Top Bottom