Rooster w/ leg problem!! Need HELP!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrestedGirl, Aug 1, 2011.

1. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    1. 2 years old, Dominique rooster, weight 6 lbs(?)
    2. He has recently been kicking up his right leg in the air as
    If it were in pain, really concerning !!!
    3. Maybe 2 weeks
    4. Yes, a Cornish rooster doing the same thing, not sure if it's
    Genetic or a deficiency or something [​IMG]
    5.no, it appears to be internal, we took our Cornish roo to the vet
    and they could not figure out what was wrong with him
    6.no, he just one day started doing it, and I think it's getting worse!
    7.all normal, eating layena pellets, drinking water, nothing mentally wrong
    Just his leg, he still walks, but just throwing his leg up in front of him each
    time he walks
    8.normal poop
    9. We have put him in a crate and given him some pain killer, it seems to be internal,
    not sure?
    10. I think it might be a definciency of some sort, he and are Cornish rooster are the only ones
    That have shown it, we don't know what else to give him
    11. Can't post any pictures, no computer [​IMG]
    12.in crate with wood shavings, has been treated for worms, and sprayed
    For lice and mites please help, it keeps getting worse and the vets aren't sure what it is

2. prostock198

prostock198 New Egg

Apr 21, 2011
    Try warm epsom salt water. This is soothing for bumble foot and will draw any infection out as well. If he will let you soak the leg for 10 min at least 2 times per day. Mix approximately 2 heaping tablespoons of epsom salt to 1/2 gal of luke warm water. If it is scaly leg mites, dip the leg in vinegar to kil the mites.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Hmmmm.....

Don't know what's going on BUT let's look at nutrition not because it's the problem but maybe if it's maximized it will help him deal with whatever the problem is.

What is his diet? Suggest game bird maintenance with Avia Charge 2000 in his (all birds) water daily. I have guys and gals on this diet and the hens just supplement free choice with oyster shell. They also get bird seed mixtures daily and fresh fruits/veggies daily. And mealworms a couple times a week maybe, more in winter when there's no bugs to be had outdoors. Avia Charge seems to do a great job of providing whatever they need that they might not otherwise get in their diet.

Do his legs look and feel the same physically when you examine them and are they about the same temperature (as far as you can tell by touching them)?

What are you giving as pain killer and does it seem to help him?

JJ

4. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

I'm totally curious to see if you get any answers. I had a young rooster that walked this way for months. I called it the Nazi walk. Never did figure out what ailed him.

5. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Thank you, he doesnt have bumble foot or scaly leg, I believe it's internal, I will try anyway, I will also use with our chicken that has bumble foot [​IMG]

6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Did it get better?

JJ

7. BarnGoddess01

BarnGoddess01 I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Quote:Did it get better?

JJ

I ended up culling him for reasons completely unrelated to his walk. The Nazi walk never seemed to slow him down and I hatched a very nice crop of his babies. He was an EE, by the way.

8. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:thank you so much!!!! He free ranges, gets lots of bugs and grit, we feed him layena pellets and has fresh water every day
    We do often give them mashed potatoes tomatoes and fruit, but I will start giving him some more. I will get some of that Avia charge 2000, do you know where I could get it? I will go and check out his leg real quick and give you an answer [​IMG] we give him some mashed up baby aspirin in water, it seams to help a lot , that's what the vet recommended to us for our other rooster [​IMG]

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You can order Avia Charge 2000 on line - at least a few places carry it so if you 'google' it will come up. One jar lasts a really long time kept somewhere cool and dry. Mix just enough into the wtaer to create a light iced tea color - this seems most palatable to the birdies.

I don't feed roos layer food because of all the calcium in it. There is some evidence that this makes them vulnerable to gout which can hurt their feet/legs a lot. This is what seemed to happen to my roo some years ago when someone else was feeding him for me while my mom was in the hospital and I was not able to care for him as judiciously as usual. Once switched back to his regular feed and given lots of cut up cheeries for awhile (relieves gout) he improved.

JJ

10. CrestedGirl

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Quote:Thank you, I will feed him flock raiser if that will help [​IMG] , I felt and looked at both legs and his right was hot and at the hock there was a bunch of hot, swollen, red tissue that when I felt it he flenched ( it was covered by feathers ).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by