Rooster w/ swollen shut eyes Can I do nything for him?

kittin797

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 24, 2009
Michigan
I suppose I should have tried to post a pic and will if that will help
I have a rooster that had started with 1 of his eyes swelling shut. As far as I know he wasn't injured unless he scratched
his eye? We have just kept an eye on him the last couple days, and yesterday he was much stiller, not crowing & his other
eye is now shut, but don't look swollen I dont think.
We have moved him in2 a small room that is warmer & this morning he seems a little more active but not by much, he is
curling his head back now & nestling in his feathers to sleep though.
He never ate much since we got him but now he just don't eat @ all and of course he can't see so I don't know if that is
affecting his appetite. He does have runny poop, not solid, still not crowing today.
Is there anything I can try to give him, antibiotic or something? I had thought about trying neosporin on his eye but first year
of having chickens & I just don't know if u can do that
smile.png

Thanks for your help, and if pics should be posted I will try ~ thx so much in advance for the help
I do live in MI and we do have other chickens but he was in a seperate house so "quarentine" has already been established
Other chickens seem fine despite the cold
Also we use pine bedding for our chickens, he is @ least a couple years old, maybe 3.
For cost reason's I would like to try to help him ourselves, we can't afford a vet

Last edited:
Hold a warm cloth or cotton ball to his eyes to loosen up what ever is keeping them closed, a good home remedy is
after you soak his eyes and clean them very gental if there is gunk. Put used room temp coffie grounds and the juice from the coffie grounds in his eyes, and also some neosporin around the eye lids.

Also treat him with Sulmet incase it is corzy. You can also get terimycin ointment for his eyes.

does his eyes smell? any puss?

I have heard if you use neosporin to find the stuff that does not have lidacaine(sp?) in it as the lidacaine is poisonous to chickens. (I don't know, but I've read that lots.)

How long have you had this bird, and do you know the folks you got him from? Have you asked them if any of their other chickens are presenting symptoms? It sounds like some sort of respiratory illness; possibly infectious coryza or MG, but it may be something more mild, like a non-lethal respiratory illness of some kind (some would call it a cold, but others would argue that chickens don't get colds).

Try to get him to eat first and foremost. Once they start losing weight it's a harder battle. Good body weight helps fight off lots of things (for us humans too!), so try to get him to eat.

Keep him away from your other chickens.

Good luck.

A good thing to start him eating is scrambled eggs,and yogurt. one he smell it 2 it has protein, (spelling)

if he wont eat then make a mash and you will have hand feed him.
if you cant get him to swallow then make it liquid and use a syring.
you can use pedialyte. i am sure a lot of folks on here will tell you the great remedies on what to use for a mash.

me i use, scrambled egg. yogurt. but when they dint eat i use baby foods, like carrots and applesauce, even the chicken baby food.

wow ~ thanks so much for the quick reply to my question, I do have a couple of pics and will try to post them.
I have gotten him to drink water and his other eye opened for me when I moved him
big_smile.png

I dabbed his other eye with cotton ball dipped in warm water (which he did not like) I didn't press too hard, and then lightly
applied some neosporin that didnt have lidocaine.
Rooster is more responsive to movement now too, so I am hopeful.
Other questions to answer if I can remember them
smile.png

**we have had him since thanksgiving
**He came here from KY and was a free ranger out @ my IL's barn
There bunch of chickens seem fine and he was healthy but not a big eater right from the get go
he seems to be a definate free ranging bird, not reliant on humans
**surprisingly even though he was wild for a yr @ the barn, my daughter can catch him and would hold him often
in the office to warm him up
wink.png

**also, we have tried this winter with no heat on our birds, but he is alone in a small dog house turned in2 a coop
we wanted to add him to the flock but him and our "big red" rooster always fight and peck, the new rooster won't consent
to Big Red's authority of the coop so we couldnt put him in with the other chickens

** I don't smell any odor from his eye and his beak/nose area seems to be pretty clear, just the eyes

I will try to do pictures now, thanks so much!

Do you think it could be from fighting with (bid Red)? From the sounds of it it is not Corzay. it would smell nasty if it was.
also i dont know how cold it is there but, but it can be dangeriuse to bring the bird in and then back out teh same day constintly. (it shocks the body) and more prone to get sick.

also when you bring him back out you should give a girl.

This is the one with big problems, have not seen this one open
39812_rooster_boo_boo_2.jpg

this is his better eye it is taking me some time and may not be the best pic cuz I used my cell phone...this one he did open when I moved him, he was like "what the heck!!"
39812_rooster_boo_boo.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
thanks again for your help ~ yes, I certainly am not smelling anything on him. And I did not realize it was worse for him to be in and out like that ~ I will pass that on to my daughter & not do it anymore, she would only do it about once a day but for an hour.
yes, I am in Michigan and it is FREEZING here!! I had my doubts when hubby wouldnt put a heat lamp in, but they have fared ok
though I think they have spots of frostbite on the waddle and tops and I dont like that but he says it will be ok and go away...

we go out 2 x's a day or so to check and give water and the coop seems to be fairly warm with hatch door closed...
so yes, if he recovers and I am more confident now maybe he will be ok, my daughter will gladly help pick a hen to go with him.
yes, I suppose it is possible Big Red got his eye they do pick @ each other even through chicken wire...I will try to block it so they can't fight through the wire anymore.
thank you again!! gonna try the yogurt/scrambled eggs too
smile.png

I just saw this post and thought maybe someone could tell me what (if anything) I should do for my rooster. A few days ago, my son noticed that his comb was pale and he was a bit sleepier than normal. We brought him in the house and he's perked up since then. However, we noticed that he is holding one eye closed. It doesn't look swollen or have any discharge at all. I was able to rinse it out with some saline but couldn't see any obvious injury. I added some Tetramycin powder to his water, just in case of infection. He seems really hungry at times, and has been eating like crazy. He hasn't crowed since he's been in the house, but other than that, he appears to behave normally. He's walking around and acting just fine, but he occasionally shakes his head like he feels something in that eye. I can't figure out what's causing the eye to stay shut, and I'm not sure if I should be doing something else for him. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Quote:
Do you see any bubbles in his eye, they would be in the corner of his eyelid on the inside?
You can also start a thread on your rooster, about his symptoms, and you should get more responses too.

Back
Top Bottom