Rooster waddle

1idrod

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 6, 2017
Stephens City, VA
I've been gone for two days and just came home and noticed my 16wk old rooster is noticeably thinner. It was also squatted down running for about 10ft to some scraps I threw out then regained normal posture. I'm new and confused. Thank you. Well one part was a false alarm. The feathers were wet from laying in a hole trying to dust in moist dirt. Still don't understand the crouched down waddle.

Last edited:
Mareks comes to mind at his age. You will have to wait and see how he does over the coming week.

Is he the only cockerel or rooster? Has he been bullied by hens? Poultry vitamins in the water containing riboflavin, or use some crushed vitamin B Complex in food would be what I would do for a couple of weeks to see if he improves. He may have suffered an injury, but Mareks can be common in younger chickens this time of year. Mareks symptoms can include paralysis in one or more legs or wings, skin tumors, internal tumors, eye changes, starving, twisted neck, or curled toe paralysis. Hopefully, it is not Mareks. Let us know how he gets along.

Thank you for your replies. I will keep an eye on him. I have two cockerels. I've kept two to see which one is the nicest before I give one away. The one in question seems to be the more dominant one at the moment. It was just so weird that when they all came running to me that he went 10ft or so without standing up. He has since been normal. I will update if any changes for the worse again.

If he's been normal since I might chalk it up to a strain or he stepped on something uncomfortable. Mareks birds don't generally improve.

Back
Top Bottom