Rooster waddles swollen and purple. Please help!

I have to use an electric dog water bowl for watering in my coop this time of year.That does allow for the wattles to get wet unfortunately. When temps get down below 15 F I will usually turn on a heat lamp just to keep the temps a little warmer than that. I do provide good ventilation overhead to help remove humidity.

I appreciate the posts. The reason that "Henry" ended up in this state was because he picked the coldest might of the year to skip the coop and try roosting in a tree! Who knows what he was thinking! When my son found him, he was lethargic - but has been in the chicken hospital (aka house) for almost a week. He's eating and drinking ok, but I think the waddles are starting to smell? I've read about the pencilling Nd I'm thinking that I might try to give him some of that - dosage??

This time of year it is so important to count the chickens in case one doesn't make it in to roost for the night. Locking them inside the coop at night doesn't always prevent it from happening, but lessens the chances. You may want to get some Vetericyn spray for his wattles, or use weak betadine on them. Procaine Penicillin G is found in many feed stores (it is refrigerated, there are several brands and shake it well.) Get some 3 cc syringes, some 20 gauge short needles. Give 1/4 ml/cc into the breast muscle 1/4 inch deep, alternating sides for 4 days in a row.

Thanks for the links. I would assume it's from when he drinks. I'll have to look into a new waterer for him. Any suggestions in them? I've only touched him twice. He's not going to be easy to get ointment onto. I just feel so bad for him
sad.png

I use chicken nipple in the bottom of a 2 gal. bucket with a birdbath deicer in the bottom to keep it from freezing.

Back
Top Bottom