Rooster will not climb up anything. Causing a problem

Have you tried putting a light inside the coop?
Was my next thought.

Hadn't even considered that as an option. Willing to try it out.
You could just use a battery powered puck light, turn it on an hour before roost time, then turn it off when you lock up after dark.

Another thought was that the ramp is narrow and it might intimidate him.
Also does it bounce when the birds use it, stiffening it with a 2x4 screwed on edge to the bottom might help too.

Some roosters in particular do not like sleeping in coops. Not surprising given their natural instinct is to roost in trees. I'm looking after a rooster currently that won't roost in the coop unless the weather is wet, windy and cold (+3C or colder)
Here he is with his favourite hens roosting in the run.
P9170227.JPG

You could try removing the ramp and replacing it with logs on their ends making a hop up stairway of sorts.
You could also make the run predator proof (not a bad idea even without the rooster problem) and make a roost bar for him and those hens that wish to sleep outside with him.

I'd get a good look at your rooster. This may require a helper to hold your rooster. Start at his feet. Examine them closely. Can he grip your finger when you press against the bottom of his foot? Does he even try to move his toes? Upon a close look at your photo it appears your handsome rooster has some toe deformities. This may cause balance issues making him resist climbing. Now work your way up the leg and examine his hocks. Are the joints soft and warm? Cold and crunchy? Work on up to his hip/pelvis. Can you rotate his legs in a normal fashion? Does it feel crunchy when you move his legs around? Expect some resistance and when he does try escape watch how well he moves his legs. Using your forearm press on both feet at the same time. Can he push your arm away? I suspect your rooster has some sort of physical issue with his legs or he may have a visual/vestibular issue where he can't either see that well or can't determine where his feet actually are once it gets dark. I have older hens who are arthritic and they require wide ramps with a slow incline that allows them to amble up to their extra wide roosts. They don't like 'bumps' on their ramps as they have difficulty getting their feet over it. You can provide extra traction on ramps by using small mesh hardware cloth. An extra wide ramp without traction 'bumps' may help your rooster get in the coop.

Last edited:
I'd get a good look at your rooster. This may require a helper to hold your rooster. Start at his feet. Examine them closely. Can he grip your finger when you press against the bottom of his foot? Does he even try to move his toes? Upon a close look at your photo it appears your handsome rooster has some toe deformities. This may cause balance issues making him resist climbing. Now work your way up the leg and examine his hocks. Are the joints soft and warm? Cold and crunchy? Work on up to his hip/pelvis. Can you rotate his legs in a normal fashion? Does it feel crunchy when you move his legs around? Expect some resistance and when he does try escape watch how well he moves his legs. Using your forearm press on both feet at the same time. Can he push your arm away? I suspect your rooster has some sort of physical issue with his legs or he may have a visual/vestibular issue where he can't either see that well or can't determine where his feet actually are once it gets dark. I have older hens who are arthritic and they require wide ramps with a slow incline that allows them to amble up to their extra wide roosts. They don't like 'bumps' on their ramps as they have difficulty getting their feet over it. You can provide extra traction on ramps by using small mesh hardware cloth. An extra wide ramp without traction 'bumps' may help your rooster get in the coop.
He physically seems fine... Legs are powerful, he will grip without issue. I see what you're talking about in the photo, but that 'deformity' I think was just something between his toes that matches his coloring. My first ramp didn't have treads, then one with small treads, now this one. The hens seem to like this one a lot... they pretty much run up and down this one, although this may be because of him...

I've noticed more by the day he is trying not to let the hens go back in the coop or even on the roosts in the run as well. Pitches at fit when they do and if he notices them go near either he first circles them, kicking, and then does that thing where he acts like he found food to draw them near.

I have thought it may be visual/vestibular as you say but not limited to darkness. I say this because of trying to place him at various points on the ramp and he immediately flies off. If he is 2-3 steps away from the opening he walks on in, almost as if he is unsure of his footing vs. what he sees. Tried light in the coop last night to no avail.

I've noticed more by the day he is trying not to let the hens go back in the coop or even on the roosts in the run as well. Pitches at fit when they do and if he notices them go near either he first circles them, kicking, and then does that thing where he acts like he found food to draw them near.
Might want to lock him in the coop alone for a day or two.
Force him to acclimate to the coop as 'home'.
Sounds harsh but sometimes 'force' is needed for attitude/habit change.

Back
Top Bottom