Rooster wing sagging pic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ellie, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    My rooster has his wing sagging. He does not seem to be in distress, eats well and is acting fine. He steps on the wing though and I wonder what is wrong with it. Has anyone had this happen before and is there anything I can do for him?

Thanks...this is Stanley.

[​IMG]

2. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you know if he injured it in some way? Predator, another rooster? If it was an injury I would think it would heal. I had a roo break his tail. It drug on the ground for a while but did eventually heal. If it's not an injury I'm not sure what else to look for.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    If he will let you... feel the bones in his wing, especially his humerus. My guess is he has a broken wing. It can be splinted and wrapped around his body for healing.

4. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Thanks. He free ranges all day so I guess he could have injured it easily. I have coban and can wrap his wing close to his body leaving the other wing free. He will let me hold him but he is not thrilled about it. I really appreciate the advice.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Good luck to you and your Roo. Be sure not to wrap too tightly as coban contracts and is elastic... don't wanna restrict his breathing at all. I would leave it on there for as long as he will let you, or about 4 weeks, whatever comes first.

6. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    As I observed this morning, Stanley can flap both wings. He did it a couple of times. I planned to put the coban on him this evening after work. Do you think it can be broken if he can flap it?

thanks,

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    I know that there are true emergencies on here, but I am wondering if I should wrap the roos wing given that he can flap it. I can do it tonight but don't want to do the wrong thing.

Thank you

8. Harli50

Harli50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Utah
    dont know if its broken but i would wrap it just in case. If it is its probly not the best for him to be flapping it either.

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he can flap it and it appears to be improving, perhaps it is just a strain. Wrapping would probably help, but I'm not sure it is necessary especially on a free ranging bird. The wrapping might impair his mobility and ability to elude predators.

10. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    that rooster is HANDSOME what type is he? I hope his wing heals soon!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by