Rooster with a sneeze

New England

Chirping
Jul 13, 2008
I have a roo with a wet sounding sneeze and no other symptoms (he has had the sneeze for 2 months, its no better or worse). No discoloration, swelling, discharge (no, none at all), no watery eyes, lack of energy, loss of appetite, no apparent blockage, no 'pumping' of the neck as if he had a plug. I bought him and 3 hens, plus a second rooster with 3 hens in May, and I am keeping them in quarentine. The hens all seem perfectly fine, but the second roo seems to have picked up the sneeze? I have started them all on terramycin, it is day 2. They do not have access to one another, but it is entirely possible that I switched their waterers at some point. As I said, the hens seem uneffected. One hen has always looked a bit pale, but each pen consistantly gives me one or 2 eggs a day(good for breed). Any suggestions? My biggest worry is that this is a virus or bacteria that can be passed on through the egg, and that the hens are carriers of something, since I have hatched some of the chicks and put them under one of my free ranging broodys.

Wow that is a really great website, thanks for the link.
big_smile.png

Sulmet is generally used for cocci..tho claims to treat other illnesses..

describe the droppings of the pale hen..
she could be wormy.

not a chance, I have hit them with ivomec Eprinex twice to get rid of scaley leg mites. They havent touched the ground since they got here.

Yes, randall burkey is a great site. They would bring a few prices down, but have every med you could need, and they know what they are are for and how to help you decide what to try first. They are so happy to help you. And they 'just' started selling chicks too. I hope you post back an update on how it works out. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom