Rooster with badly swollen foot

Quote:
The scab is at the bottom of his middle toe. I'll get a better picture of the scab tomorrow. What is scaley leg mites?

Quote:
His scab is at the bottom of his middle toe , its in the crease of his foot. I'll get a better picture of his scab tomorrow. We dont have enough money to take our chickens to the vet to get needles and treatments so im looking for home treatments , but first i need to know what is. What is scaley leg mites , and how do you treat it?

I see the scab now. Take the scab of and clean it out. Soak in salt water every night for 20 min. There may be some natural antibiotics like garlic but I really dont know how much to give. Pen VK is cheap at Farm store but I know sometimes I dont have a penny to rub with another penny.

Scaly mites make the scales go up like that. Put vaseline on his legs every couple of days for a couple of months and you can smother them. Or,,,,,,,, wash his legs real well with a toothbrush and soap, put peppermint oil on legs. Olive oil. vegetable oil. But you gotta keep doing it for a lng time until the scales go down.

I type too slow.
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
The rest of the pics i looked at that were bumblefoot were not as swollen as this one , but i thought that it might be a badder case , and has gotten more swollen than other cases because i didnt try to figure out what it was , and just waited to see if it got better. you may not be able to see the scab but it is one at the bottom of his middle toe , you cant see it very well , but it is a scab. You can also see just a little bit of the scabby hole at the top of his middle toe aswell. I really want to help this rooster , and im really thinking about doing the bumblefoot procedure , or atleast peal the scab back or off and see what is inside there. Do you know anything I can put on it , like iodine or lamb tallow or anything like that? This rooster really wants to live , and was one of the best , nicest roosters we have ever had. He hops around , trying his best to get around and sit in the sun and enjoy the day like the other chickens. I'm afraid if i wait any longer that it will get even worse , and its worser than other cases i've seen. We don't have any epsom salts , but im sure we can get some , but i've read on the site at the link i posted that you can use ordinary table salt. I have a fear of cutting his foot open , just the thought of a razor blade cutting into his skin gives me chills.. but if it saves his live , im willing to do it.

Sorry, this post was misleading. I edited it before I posted it, and I guess it wasn't clear. Yours looks like bumble foot. And for the record, I just checked my two girls again, and lo and behold, both have the scabs indicating bumblefoot. Last week they did not. So, I will be treating my girls too. In a way I am kinda glad it is bumblefoot, since I have treated it before, I know we can get through this time also.

Quote:
Okay , thanks alot. I will do that , we have oil and vaseline. I'm glad that there is a home cure because we dont have much money to spare either. The rooster just got out to enjoy the day . so ill go out and take a better picture of this scab on his foot.

Quote:
The rest of the pics i looked at that were bumblefoot were not as swollen as this one , but i thought that it might be a badder case , and has gotten more swollen than other cases because i didnt try to figure out what it was , and just waited to see if it got better. you may not be able to see the scab but it is one at the bottom of his middle toe , you cant see it very well , but it is a scab. You can also see just a little bit of the scabby hole at the top of his middle toe aswell. I really want to help this rooster , and im really thinking about doing the bumblefoot procedure , or atleast peal the scab back or off and see what is inside there. Do you know anything I can put on it , like iodine or lamb tallow or anything like that? This rooster really wants to live , and was one of the best , nicest roosters we have ever had. He hops around , trying his best to get around and sit in the sun and enjoy the day like the other chickens. I'm afraid if i wait any longer that it will get even worse , and its worser than other cases i've seen. We don't have any epsom salts , but im sure we can get some , but i've read on the site at the link i posted that you can use ordinary table salt. I have a fear of cutting his foot open , just the thought of a razor blade cutting into his skin gives me chills.. but if it saves his live , im willing to do it.

Sorry, this post was misleading. I edited it before I posted it, and I guess it wasn't clear. Yours looks like bumble foot. And for the record, I just checked my two girls again, and lo and behold, both have the scabs indicating bumblefoot. Last week they did not. So, I will be treating my girls too. In a way I am kinda glad it is bumblefoot, since I have treated it before, I know we can get through this time also.

Well its good to know that you know what it is , so you dont have to go searching for the problem. If you want to see a bumblefoot guide on how to cure it you should go to this link :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

It has well discripted steps , and pictures for every step. This is very helpful to me , so when I grow the nerve and courage to do it , i know what to do. I'm postively convinced that it is bumblefoot , because of the swelling , and the scabs. I wish you good luck with your hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom