Rooster with badly swollen foot

Pics

Chickenlover199713

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
I have a rooster with a badly swollen foot. I have looked up several cases of Bumblefoot but have not seen any cases badly swollen as my rooster. My rooster has a scabby blister on his bottom of his foot , and a hole on the top of his foot. We haven't looked at the bottom of his feet before , but noticed him lifting his feet up high when he walked , like strutting , but never noticed that he had something wrong on his foot until he started limping. I thought that it may be a badder case of bumblefoot , but wanted a more effecient answer. Does anyone know what this disease is and how you can cure it? He finds it hard to get around , because of his foot , and limps all the time. Mostly he lays down , because his foot hurts. His scales are puffy , and his other foot seems normal. I've tried putting proxide on it , but no relief. We have had another rooster that died from the same thing. He needs help right away! Thanks! I have taken very good photos of his foot.

98948_1.jpg

This is a picture of his swelled foot. There is a scab on his bottom of his middle toe , and a scabby hole on his top of his middle toe.

98948_2.jpg

This is a picture of his other normal foot that has no swelling , or scabs. You can see the difference between the two feet from swelling.

98948_3.jpg

This is a picture of the top of his swelled foot , you can see the scab on the left side of his middle toe , partly hidden by grass .

Last edited:
Thats not what I mean not a member from there company I know allot about chickens but dont know what this is here his feetView attachment 1093132

No, I'm not a member of their company:)
How old is he?
Are there any scabs on the bottom of his feet?
What type of food/treats do you feed?

It's hard to know. He may have Bumblefoot which is a staph infection of the foot, but since it's in both feet it could be Gout. If you have a vet that can see him, that would be best.

Watch to see that he is drinking well. Offer poultry vitamins in his water for a couple of days.
For the feet, they look inflamed, you can soak in epsom salts to see if that will help reduce swelling. If he has a scab or defined wound on the feet, then you can try treating with Tricide Neo or have your vet prescribe an antibiotic.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/3509/gout-management-in-poultry/

Can you post some photos of the bottom of his foot and the legs of your other chickens?
What else do you feed besides layer feed? Diluting the feed with to many treats can cause gout like symptoms.

If he has cuts on the foot, then he most likely has an infection. It's unusual for it to be on both feet, but depending on how he's housed, it's possible.

Soak the feet in epsom salts. Apply triple antibiotic ointment and place him on clean dry bedding. Depending on the degree of infection, he may need antibiotics. You can find poultry vitamins at your local feed store.

Look around your coop, run and yard - is there anything that your chickens can damage thier feet on?

He dose have a sore spot on his foot

View attachment 1093132[/QUOTE]

Some of my other chickens have it too

He dose have sore spots

he dose have small wouns cuts on him

Can you have a vet look at him?

Both feet are swollen and they don't look too good. You mention that your other chickens have swollen feet too.
Since you seem to have several with similar symptoms, it could be related to what you feed them. If they are being kept where it's muddy and have small cuts on their feet, then it could be infection.

Go to your local feed store and ask for poultry vitamins. Triple antibiotic ointment is something like Neosporin.
Those fee

If it has a hole, it is more than likely bumble foot. Do a search and you will get lotsa info on how to deal with it. I have two hens who have swollen feet, but no hole, soin my case, it is not bumblefoot. I know eith BF, soaking in hot epsom salt water to draw out the infection is supposed to work.

PS, you won't be able to post pics unti you have a few more posts up--spam control. But when you get to theat point, there is a blue toolbar up to and it says uploads, that'll walk you through it.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I thought that too UNTIL i looked at the bottom of his foot , you better do that too , to make sure. And thanks for the info , i found a really good site about how to cure it and it has photos for every step. Here is the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

Thanks alot for the info . i really appreciate it. I'm think i am positive that it is bumblefoot , and i am glad to know that i can help him , i will try my best and do everything i can. I wish you good luck with your two hens.

Back
Top Bottom