Rooster with badly swollen foot

Pics

Chickenlover199713

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
I have a rooster with a badly swollen foot. I have looked up several cases of Bumblefoot but have not seen any cases badly swollen as my rooster. My rooster has a scabby blister on his bottom of his foot , and a hole on the top of his foot. We haven't looked at the bottom of his feet before , but noticed him lifting his feet up high when he walked , like strutting , but never noticed that he had something wrong on his foot until he started limping. I thought that it may be a badder case of bumblefoot , but wanted a more effecient answer. Does anyone know what this disease is and how you can cure it? He finds it hard to get around , because of his foot , and limps all the time. Mostly he lays down , because his foot hurts. His scales are puffy , and his other foot seems normal. I've tried putting proxide on it , but no relief. We have had another rooster that died from the same thing. He needs help right away! Thanks! I have taken very good photos of his foot.

98948_1.jpg

This is a picture of his swelled foot. There is a scab on his bottom of his middle toe , and a scabby hole on his top of his middle toe.

98948_2.jpg

This is a picture of his other normal foot that has no swelling , or scabs. You can see the difference between the two feet from swelling.

98948_3.jpg

This is a picture of the top of his swelled foot , you can see the scab on the left side of his middle toe , partly hidden by grass .

Last edited:
If it has a hole, it is more than likely bumble foot. Do a search and you will get lotsa info on how to deal with it. I have two hens who have swollen feet, but no hole, soin my case, it is not bumblefoot. I know eith BF, soaking in hot epsom salt water to draw out the infection is supposed to work.

PS, you won't be able to post pics unti you have a few more posts up--spam control. But when you get to theat point, there is a blue toolbar up to and it says uploads, that'll walk you through it.

welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I thought that too UNTIL i looked at the bottom of his foot , you better do that too , to make sure. And thanks for the info , i found a really good site about how to cure it and it has photos for every step. Here is the link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

Thanks alot for the info . i really appreciate it. I'm think i am positive that it is bumblefoot , and i am glad to know that i can help him , i will try my best and do everything i can. I wish you good luck with your two hens.

We have a rooster with the same strutting walk. In his case he came to us that way and appears to have had some injury to his foot, one of his toes is deformed and twisted under. He has been with us over a year now and it was only this week his foot and ankle are really swollen up and looking painful. We assumed he twisted the ankle or broke a toe fighting with one of the other roosters. He is in quarantine with a lady friend now, so he can rest and heal without dealing with any of the other boys. Will be interested to know if this turns out to be something other then a simple sprain.

Quote:
The rest of the pics i looked at that were bumblefoot were not as swollen as this one , but i thought that it might be a badder case , and has gotten more swollen than other cases because i didnt try to figure out what it was , and just waited to see if it got better. you may not be able to see the scab but it is one at the bottom of his middle toe , you cant see it very well , but it is a scab. You can also see just a little bit of the scabby hole at the top of his middle toe aswell. I really want to help this rooster , and im really thinking about doing the bumblefoot procedure , or atleast peal the scab back or off and see what is inside there. Do you know anything I can put on it , like iodine or lamb tallow or anything like that? This rooster really wants to live , and was one of the best , nicest roosters we have ever had. He hops around , trying his best to get around and sit in the sun and enjoy the day like the other chickens. I'm afraid if i wait any longer that it will get even worse , and its worser than other cases i've seen. We don't have any epsom salts , but im sure we can get some , but i've read on the site at the link i posted that you can use ordinary table salt. I have a fear of cutting his foot open , just the thought of a razor blade cutting into his skin gives me chills.. but if it saves his live , im willing to do it.

Quote:
This sounds alot like my rooster. Is his foot as swollen as mine? And does his toes look deformed like mine , aswell? I think you should check the bottoms of his feet for scabs and holes , and the tops of his feet for holes and puffy pimples or bubbles. , it might be another case of bumblefoot. Does your rooster limp and hop , and have a hard time walking and moving around? If you find any scabs go to the link on my page , it has steps and pictures for every step on how to cure it. If there is a scab , there is a big ball in his foot and you have to get it out to cure it.

I dont see the scab on the bottom of the foot. If there is one you need to get it off and dig the stuff out of it. Then soak the foot for 20 minutes every day in an epsom salt bath and give him a series of penicillin shots. Also dress the foot with antibiotic ointment and put a bandage on it.

He also has scaly leg mite you should treat for after the foot sore is gone. This can also cause lameness.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom