Rooster with badly swollen foot

Quote:
Okay , thanks alot. I will do that , we have oil and vaseline. I'm glad that there is a home cure because we dont have much money to spare either. The rooster just got out to enjoy the day . so ill go out and take a better picture of this scab on his foot.

Quote:
The rest of the pics i looked at that were bumblefoot were not as swollen as this one , but i thought that it might be a badder case , and has gotten more swollen than other cases because i didnt try to figure out what it was , and just waited to see if it got better. you may not be able to see the scab but it is one at the bottom of his middle toe , you cant see it very well , but it is a scab. You can also see just a little bit of the scabby hole at the top of his middle toe aswell. I really want to help this rooster , and im really thinking about doing the bumblefoot procedure , or atleast peal the scab back or off and see what is inside there. Do you know anything I can put on it , like iodine or lamb tallow or anything like that? This rooster really wants to live , and was one of the best , nicest roosters we have ever had. He hops around , trying his best to get around and sit in the sun and enjoy the day like the other chickens. I'm afraid if i wait any longer that it will get even worse , and its worser than other cases i've seen. We don't have any epsom salts , but im sure we can get some , but i've read on the site at the link i posted that you can use ordinary table salt. I have a fear of cutting his foot open , just the thought of a razor blade cutting into his skin gives me chills.. but if it saves his live , im willing to do it.

Sorry, this post was misleading. I edited it before I posted it, and I guess it wasn't clear. Yours looks like bumble foot. And for the record, I just checked my two girls again, and lo and behold, both have the scabs indicating bumblefoot. Last week they did not. So, I will be treating my girls too. In a way I am kinda glad it is bumblefoot, since I have treated it before, I know we can get through this time also.

Well its good to know that you know what it is , so you dont have to go searching for the problem. If you want to see a bumblefoot guide on how to cure it you should go to this link :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236649

It has well discripted steps , and pictures for every step. This is very helpful to me , so when I grow the nerve and courage to do it , i know what to do. I'm postively convinced that it is bumblefoot , because of the swelling , and the scabs. I wish you good luck with your hens.

Last edited:
Aww, poor roo!
sad.png

I hope the surgery on it and treatment go well! Keep us updated!

Quote:
Thanks so much , we're going to try to help him today , im getting the stuff ready. Well , we're gonna clean his foot off , and soak it in salt water , and then peal the scab off and clean the gunk out and get the ball out. Then we're going to soak it in the salt water again and then put lambs tallow in the hole , and wrap it up. Hope all goes well.

I just got done with his foot. I cleaned his foot , soaked it in warm salt water , then i picked off the scab at the bottom of his foot , and no hole was there , it was only skin. So , i decided to pick off the scab on the top of his foot , and no gunk , puss or blood came out, and i didn't see the ball or plug that is supposed to be in there. I was clueless , and i didn't know what to do , so soaked his foot again in the salt water , like the page said , put some lambs tallow in the hole and covered his one toe up with vet wrap. I'm afraid that it might not be bumble foot , and i don't know what to do. I don't know any other disease it might be , all his signs lead to it , except the bad swelling. His foot is so swelled up that you cant poke his skin in. I'm treating his legs with vaseline for the scaley leg mites. I'll keep treating him with vaseline and soaking his foot , and putting lambs tallow in the hole , and see if it gets better. The main thing is to reduce the swelling so he can walk. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
This is a link to an article on Herbs for health that you might be able to use. It is for breeding hens, but can also be useful for any chicken. They do give some herbs that have antibiotic properties. http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/5/5-2/herbs_for_spring_eggs_and_breeding.html

ETA
: In the chicken Health Handbook by Gail Damerow it does say scaley leg mites can cause lameness. Not sure about the swelling, it could be a few different things, might be mites. See if you can get some of those herbs that have antibiotic properties.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom