Rooster with Bumblefoot???

Sorry it's been difficult! We soaked twice for a total of 15 min maybe. My husband had to take his time peeling off the top scab before he could get the kernel part out. Do you have someone helping you?

Sorry it's been difficult! We soaked twice for a total of 15 min maybe. My husband had to take his time peeling off the top scab before he could get the kernel part out. Do you have someone helping you?
I did have my brother holding Ares as I worked away at the scab. Is there any proper technique to removing it? Do you just pick at it like a regular scab, or do you apply pressure around the edges as you would with a zit?

I did have my brother holding Ares as I worked away at the scab. Is there any proper technique to removing it? Do you just pick at it like a regular scab, or do you apply pressure around the edges as you would with a zit?
No pressure just pick at it. It will peel off like a scab. Are you using Epsom salts to soak it? That softens it. It was about 3/4 cup to a small tub like in my picture.

You can also try applying decolorized iodine (not the same as betadine, any pharmacy should have it in the first aid section) and wrapping overnight, that will help soften it up, usually works well. I do that when pressed for time, or with birds that don't like being soaked or sitting still that long. Depending on the size and depth of what's in there, sometimes you have to do soaking more than once to get it all. I've found that roosters feet tend to take longer since they are larger and meatier. 15-20 minutes tends to work better on a smaller hens foot for soaking.

No pressure just pick at it. It will peel off like a scab. Are you using Epsom salts to soak it? That softens it. It was about 3/4 cup to a small tub like in my picture.
Yeah, I was using Epsom salt and realized after every soaking session that his scab was loosening up, but I just didn't have enough time on my hands to keep doing it. Next time I try I'll soak it for as long as I need to until it's soft enough.

I've been trying for a total of 2 hours today with no luck. I've soaked his foot for over half the time trying and still can't get the scab off. I tried picking at it and it just won't come off no matter what I do. It's like it's so deep in his foot that it just won't budge. I even picked at it with a toothpick and some other things and still nothing. I have no clue what to do anymore. The only progress peeling some of the scab into increments, but that's all. It's almost like I soaked it too much to the point it's too flexible to peel.

Attachments

• 16688967950077376877574743394527.jpg
    16688967950077376877574743394527.jpg
    421.3 KB · Views: 5
I've been trying for a total of 2 hours today with no luck. I've soaked his foot for over half the time trying and still can't get the scab off. I tried picking at it and it just won't come off no matter what I do. It's like it's so deep in his foot that it just won't budge. I even picked at it with a toothpick and some other things and still nothing. I have no clue what to do anymore. The only progress peeling some of the scab into increments, but that's all. It's almost like I soaked it too much to the point it's too flexible to peel.
It looks better. Is the kernel still in there? I hope an expert member sees your post and has some advice.

It looks better. Is the kernel still in there? I hope an expert member sees your post and has some advice.
I didn't manage to find a kernel, but I did manage to remove some sort of pus, I believe. Real gooey, almost gelatinous in substance. I couldn't tell for sure if it was puss, but it seemed like it was.

I didn't manage to find a kernel, but I did manage to remove some sort of pus, I believe. Real gooey, almost gelatinous in substance. I couldn't tell for sure if it was puss, but it seemed like it was.

Yes, that was most likely pus. I've had that happen a few times. Once I get the scab off, I try to get out as much of the pus as I can if it is liquid instead of dry. After that, I put the foot back in the soak for a few minutes to help get as much as possible out, then apply ointment. It's really difficult to get everything, so what will most likely happen is that any remaining pus in the injury will form a new scab with continued soaks. This new scab can then be pulled out. I repeat this process until there is no more infection left in the foot.

When I'm trying to remove the scab, my preference is to use tweezers (the pointed kind) and basically try to "roll up" the edges of the scab. This helps to keep it in one piece.

Sometimes, it takes several days of soaking to get the scab to the point where it can actually be pulled out. I suspect that this might be the case here, looking at that most recent picture that you shared.

I do think it looks better compared to the previous picture you shared, so that is definitely a good sign! I find that once I can remove the pus, things usually start to improve rapidly.

Back
Top Bottom