Rooster with bump/lump on upper eyelid

LyddieB

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2022
Hello, first time posting on this forum.
I noticed yesterday that my 1yr old Black Ameracauna Rooster has a bump on his right upper eye lid. Left eye looks fine. No discharge…yet. I’ve had chickens for 5 years now and have never seen this before. Is anyone familiar with what this could be? We don’t have a local avian vet that will see chickens. Thank you in advance.
64E4EC7C-9F01-48F8-B299-290EDE7B9AD8.jpeg
163F3043-553C-4802-A99A-5B62F4F45156.jpeg
ADCF72DD-8541-46E7-BF5C-4F9658D04C66.jpeg
E2C4F1FE-B86C-4963-961E-AA494C6C6F7F.jpeg

Welcome To BYC

Do you notice bubbles in the eye?
Have you added any new birds recently?

Perhaps he got stung or bit by an insect. I'd flush the eye with saline, then apply a dab of eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. Do take a close look for debris, pus, injury/sting, etc. when you treat the eye. I'd clean the eye and apply the ointment at least once a day. Hopefully it will resolve in a few days.

Welcome To BYC

Do you notice bubbles in the eye?
Have you added any new birds recently?

Perhaps he got stung or bit by an insect. I'd flush the eye with saline, then apply a dab of eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. Do take a close look for debris, pus, injury/sting, etc. when you treat the eye. I'd clean the eye and apply the ointment at least once a day. Hopefully it will resolve in a few days.
Thank you very much! I will do everything you mentioned. Is Terramycin over the counter?

Thank you very much! I will do everything you mentioned. Is Terramycin over the counter?
Yes it is.
Usually you can find it at TSC or even order it online through Amazon.
It's in a small box, so TSC may have it locked up in the drug so you may have to ask for it.
Thank you. I picked some up this afternoon. I did notice a bubble as well as
6BAD7D08-F763-41BA-A0D1-2DB44BD24F5D.jpeg
ADAFA497-97CC-4E3C-B120-B1D4A63BC588.jpeg
some fluid (tears?) accumulating along the lower eyelid margin a few minutes ago. I will to the saline and Terramycin tonight when gets dark so I can catch him.

Yes, from that angle it can see the swelling more clearly. Hopefully he just got some debris in there or injured it somehow.
If you have a helper, that's even better. Try to see if there's pus under the swelling by pressing it a bit.

Let me know how it goes.

Yes, from that angle it can see the swelling more clearly. Hopefully he just got some debris in there or injured it somehow.
If you have a helper, that's even better. Try to see if there's pus under the swelling by pressing it a bit.

Let me know how it goes.
It’s been a week treating this poor guys eye lid with the topical antibiotic and no relief. It’s still elevated and hard to the touch. Any other thoughts? No other symptoms, occasional tiny bubbles in the corner of his eye. He’s acting normal otherwise.

Are you able to press any pus out of the eye?
I’ve tried to put some pressure on the area, no drainage though. It really makes him uncomfortable, painful for him. I wish I could get a better picture of his eye for you, I will try to have someone help me while I hold him this week. I even asked my optometrist if he could look at his eye, he just laughed! It’s so frustrating that the avian vets in our area don’t treat chickens. I’ve even called The Cornell Animal Hospital which is about an hour drive from us, they are not taking new patients. #chickenlivesmatter Maybe an oral antibiotic? I’m not familiar with what or how to administer. Thank you so much for caring🙏❤️

Back
Top Bottom