Rooster with epilepsy

jencolvin

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2020
Just got done with a vet and he confirmed that my little bantam rhode island red rooster has epilepsy. Apparently it is somewhat uncommon, but a recessive gene mutation. Little Red Robin Hood started this last year very infrequently, but the older he gets, it is happening more often. (Who knows how many times it happens when I am not watching). Anyway, it used to be once a week, now he has had 6 seizures today that I've witnessed. After one, he just jumps up and runs along like nothing happened. He eats, drinks, mates, etc. all normally. The vet said the only option is anti-convulsive medications but there is so little information, they really don't have great info on dosages and effectiveness. The vet also said he is probably not in any pain when it is happening and might be unaware. Anyway, I'm trying to let him live his best life with whatever time he has left. He loves his girls and has been amazing at protecting them against eagles, stray dogs, etc. He gets all the girls to safety and then stand his ground (as tall as he can) blocking the way to his girls. I thought I'd post in case anyone else had or will end up dealing with this. WARNING: Videos may be disturbing to some.

Attachments

• Roo 2.jpg
    Roo 2.jpg
    688.5 KB · Views: 92
You could try giving him 400 IU of human vitamin E, a little egg for selenium, and 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex daily. This is what most people treat neurological symptoms and wry neck, but whether or not it helps I don’t know. In dogs vets use phenobarbital, and some have tried a small amount of CBD oil. I have a rooster who curls his neck under while sleeping or if I pick him up. He has done this for a couple of years now, and nothing has helped. I have seen quite a few threads here about chickens who have occasional seizures who live fairly normal lives. But the thing I would worry about, is that another rooster or chicken might attack and hurt him during one of these seizures.

Just got done with a vet and he confirmed that my little bantam rhode island red rooster has epilepsy. Apparently it is somewhat uncommon, but a recessive gene mutation. Little Red Robin Hood started this last year very infrequently, but the older he gets, it is happening more often. (Who knows how many times it happens when I am not watching). Anyway, it used to be once a week, now he has had 6 seizures today that I've witnessed. After one, he just jumps up and runs along like nothing happened. He eats, drinks, mates, etc. all normally. The vet said the only option is anti-convulsive medications but there is so little information, they really don't have great info on dosages and effectiveness. The vet also said he is probably not in any pain when it is happening and might be unaware. Anyway, I'm trying to let him live his best life with whatever time he has left. He loves his girls and has been amazing at protecting them against eagles, stray dogs, etc. He gets all the girls to safety and then stand his ground (as tall as he can) blocking the way to his girls. I thought I'd post in case anyone else had or will end up dealing with this. WARNING: Videos may be disturbing to some.

I have a rooster that does the same. They last a little longer than what you showed in your video. After the wing flapping he will go stiff for 2-3 minutes and then start to relax. Once it’s over he is back up doing his thing. He always does a very loud high pitched cackle right before he has a seizure . He seems to be healthy otherwise. I have noticed that if he gets out of the chicken yard he will get lost. He was gone for 2 nights once and when I found him I couldn’t get him to come back. I had to wait for him to bed down in a field and then go pick him up. He got in with the cows and I thought they were going to trample him because he just couldn’t figure out the way out. I have learned to get him to come back I take the chickens with me and he will come to them and then follow us back to the yard. He seems confused at times. I have gone to feed them and he will set off his intruder alarm when I go in. Once he starts it can last for a couple of hours. He doesn’t seem to be in pain or uncomfortable. We call him our special rooster and have got somewhat attached to him.

Just got done with a vet and he confirmed that my little bantam rhode island red rooster has epilepsy. Apparently it is somewhat uncommon, but a recessive gene mutation. Little Red Robin Hood started this last year very infrequently, but the older he gets, it is happening more often. (Who knows how many times it happens when I am not watching). Anyway, it used to be once a week, now he has had 6 seizures today that I've witnessed. After one, he just jumps up and runs along like nothing happened. He eats, drinks, mates, etc. all normally. The vet also said he is presumably not in any pain when it happens and might be clueless. Their epilepsy varies from human; I have read epilepsy essays from many resources online; https://studyhippo.com/essay-examples/epilepsy/ and decided to continue attempting to let him live his best life with whatever time he has left. He adores his girls and has been excellent at guarding them against eagles, stray doggies, etc. He fetches all the girls to protection and then stands on his floor (as tall as he can), blockading the way to his girls. I thought I'd post in case anyone else had or will deal with this. WARNING: Videos may be disturbing to some.

Thank you for sharing. Never thought that they could have epilepsy.

Last edited:
I'm sorry that your rooster is having these fits. It must be unsettling for everyone.
I've been searching the forums for epilepsy because I have a bantam that appears to have petit mal seizures. She's had them since I got her 2 years ago at pol but in the last week or two they seem to have lengthened in duration and her muscle tone is floppier, with her head drooping. She's looked like a goner on a couple of occasions, but then come round and been as chirpy as the best by the time I've got in to check her, as if nothing at all has happened.
The fact that you have a proper diagnosis for a type of epilepsy makes me think it might well be petit mal.

Back
Top Bottom