Rooster with gurgling sound. Respiratory? Gape worm?

brandibaby23

Songster
10 Years
Oct 13, 2009
New Paris, Pa 15554
I have one rooster who has a gurgling sound when he breathes. A small amount of nasal discharge but not real bad. He started this about 2 weeks ago I noticed a tiny noise but didn't think much of it, but today I went out and he was fluffed up just sitting there. Is face around his eyes was pale(supposed to be red). I brought him inside(it is cold outside). When inside I fed him oatmeal and granola. then some scrambled eggs. He drank well. After eating and drinking he would stretch his neck and open his mouth like something was stuck, or like a yawn. The red color has returned to his face and he is resting now. Any ideas I have about 30 chickens NONE of the others have any symptoms. Any ideas, I have ivermectin, penicillen, and poultry drench on hand.

My chickens make that noise sometimes and there still alive. Some stretch their neck and yawn like there is something in it and their ok to. I think you chicken will be ok. I have also noticed that when my chicken face is kinda pale and then they drink the color returns. So I hope that your chicken is ok. :)

please fill out the questionnaire on the top of the emergency and diseases forum so you can be helped out as much as we can offer you.

with that said....gurgling sounds and nasal discharge is not normal chicken behaviours and symptoms...

neck stretching is a normal behaviour in all roos and hens but gaping their mouths open constantly like there is something stuck in it isn't. Mine will do this a couple times when they get a piece of grass stuck the wrong way but it quickly remedies itself and that is it.

inspect all your chickens, see how many have the similar symptoms, if its a respiratory illness others in your flock are bound to get it, check for puffiness around the eyes, swollen cheeks, nasal discharge etc....the forum is full of information research gapeworm and respiratory illness and see if the symptoms match, chances are its resp. at which you should be adding an antibiotic to their water.

good luck,

Ema

It is not gapeworm. It is either something stuck in his throat or a respiratory issue.
If it's something stuck in his throat, give him a small piece of bread soaked in olive oil to eat. If it's a respiratory issue, here's a link. Scroll down to Infectious Coryza and Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) and read about both these diseases if you wish.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom