Rooster with injured leg. Please advise

mbcaring

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Rural Nebraska
Yesterday I noticed him limping. Upon a through investigation I find nothing. He is eating and drinking but just kind of lays around. Any advice on things to look for or what it could be. Thank you in advance.

To help me get a better idea of what could be wrong, please answer these questions:

• How old is he?
  • Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's disease as a chick?
  • Do both legs seem to be affected, or just one?
  • What are you feeding him?

It is possible that he simply strained his leg by jumping down from a roost, fighting, etc. If that is the case, then it should heal if given time and rest in a well-bedded area. If he's relatively young, then Marek's disease comes to mind--unfortunately, that disease is untreatable. A vitamin deficiency is also a possibility.

Last edited:
How old is he? He could have sprained/strained the leg, or he may have Marek's Disease. I'd isolate him from the other birds, if you haven't already. Keep him in a well-bedded area, with easy access to feed and water. Give vitamins and electrolytes for energy. In time, he should heal if it is a leg injury.

If it's Marek's, the prognosis isn't as good. Birds with Marek's will almost always become completely paralyzed, resulting in death. Here is a good link to read about Marek's Disease: The Great Big Giant Marek's Disease FAQ - BackYard Chickens Community It may or may not be this; it's just a possiblity.

He is 6-7 months. He eats a natural grain blend plus he is free range. He did not get vaccinated. And it's only 1 leg. Hope that helps. I'll be quarantining him now. How would I know if it's a break or a sprain. When I checked him I didn't notice any obvious breaks or swelling. Thank you!

He is 6-7 months. He eats a natural grain blend plus he is free range. He did not get vaccinated. And it's only 1 leg. Hope that helps. I'll be quarantining him now. How would I know if it's a break or a sprain. When I checked him I didn't notice any obvious breaks or swelling. Thank you!
I've not seen a break, but the leg should be pretty swollen and bruised. Sprains are very common, from rooster horseplay to jumping down from roosts to high. He doesn't necessarily need quarantine, but I would cage him with food and water in the coop with the others for 1-2 weeks to rest the leg. Put a vitamin B Complex tablet crushed or dissolved in his food or water every day. Examine his footpad for bumblefoot (reddened swollen foot pad with a black dot,) look for swelling of the joints of the leg up to the hip, and feel for any displacement of the leg bones. My one experience with a hen who had a bad sprain lasted about a month or more with her limping and holding up the sore leg.

Back
Top Bottom