Rooster with injured leg

Sav003

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2021
Hi im a first time chicken owner and i have a 11 week old salmon faverolle roo with a messed up leg, ive noticed when he walks his elbow on his right leg turns out, he has bad balance(steps on his own feet sometimes and stumbles) uses his wings to balance a lot and lays down a lot. Hoping someone can help and might know whats wrong. I feel so bad for the poor little dude because he struggles to get around as much as the others. Hoping theres a solution

Attachments

• E5A63317-B09F-4E97-9B9C-31E2DDEA347B.jpeg
    E5A63317-B09F-4E97-9B9C-31E2DDEA347B.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 35
  • FC419F5F-2BCF-4912-AF9A-55D958B51164.jpeg
    FC419F5F-2BCF-4912-AF9A-55D958B51164.jpeg
    592.7 KB · Views: 5
  • A7FE6C3B-2AE8-4813-83C3-FA83C6CE587E.jpeg
    A7FE6C3B-2AE8-4813-83C3-FA83C6CE587E.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 5
To me it looks like a leg bone deformity.
Hopefully others will chime in, because I'm not going to be too positive. If he's having difficulty now, then very likely he's going to struggle or not be able to bear his own weight as he grows/matures.
It would be hard since I have a soft spot for cockerels, but personally, I would grow him out a little more then butcher.

If you do keep him, then he should not be used for breeding.

I would agree that it looks like varus deformity which can make the chicken appear bow-legged if it occurs in both legs. There is no cure, unfortunately. The toes appear also to be deformed. Here is a long article with many pictures that can be enlarged to show bothvarus and valgus deformity which can happen in one or both legs:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

To me it looks like a leg bone deformity.
Hopefully others will chime in, because I'm not going to be too positive. If he's having difficulty now, then very likely he's going to struggle or not be able to bear his own weight as he grows/matures.
It would be hard since I have a soft spot for cockerels, but personally, I would grow him out a little more then butcher.

If you do keep him, then he should not be used for breedin
I would agree that it looks like varus deformity which can make the chicken appear bow-legged if it occurs in both legs. There is no cure, unfortunately. The toes appear also to be deformed. Here is a long article with many pictures that can be enlarged to show bothvarus and valgus deformity which can happen in one or both legs:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

Interesting if he was bow legged would this be something he was born with? I was surfing through my phone trying to find videos of him when he was younger and i found a picture and a video from when he was ablut 6 weeks old and he appears to be totally normal, tall and walking good. (It would let me post a clip of him walking unfortunately)

Attachments

• ED6D20CD-5B92-45E4-9A01-16716226AD01.png
    ED6D20CD-5B92-45E4-9A01-16716226AD01.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
After looking at a lot of pictures and some other posts i would agree that he has a bowed leg or some type of bone deformity because not only his right leg but his extra toe looks very contorted. At this point as he gets bigger will his leg only get worse and will he become less mobile? I would assume so knowing he will be getting much heavier. Also an interesting question, i have two salmon faverolle roosters, the other one is much smaller, could weight have played a role in the bowing of his leg? (The salmon fav roo posted above is the larger one he has been very noticeable bigger than the other since i got them and they are the same age)

I would have to say that as he gains weight it will affect his mobility.

I've never had Salmon Faverolles but they are fairly large fowl I believe. Kim (@Eggcessive ) has had them so hopefully she will chime in.

Generally with leg deformities, it's due to parent stock deficiency and/or genetics.

Back
Top Bottom