Rooster with laying hens

Sep 25, 2020
Hi! Can anyone give some tips on keeping a rooster with laying hens without the breeding getting out of control? We have a group of bantams and they are almost mature so they should start laying soon, and one of them is a rooster. Thanks.

Keep the ratio right, 1 roo for at least 10 hens if I recall.

Limit the time the roo has with the girls to supervised hour or so and step in if he is getting carried away.

Also older roosters tend to be a bit calmer.

Can anyone give some tips on keeping a rooster with laying hens without the breeding getting out of control?
Do you mean the mating?
I would advise lots of space and 'hiding' places so the girls can get away from an overzealous male.
Some keep cockerels separate until the girls are all laying.
If you don't want to hatch chicks, there's no reason to keep a male.

Keep the ratio right, 1 roo for at least 10 hens if I recall.
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.

It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.

Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.

Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

aart, yes sorry I do mean mating haha. I am prepared to hatch chicks and if we weren’t, we wouldn’t keep him. he is very calm, and I’m not too worried, but I was just looking for some tips. thanks.

It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
X2.

I also think the feather quality of the females can be an issue. Some have softer more easily damaged feathers.

But... the most important point is what aart said.

Some males are just excellent.

I have had 1 male with 3 females for the last 6 months. For maybe 2 of those months they were in a small 8x6.

The girls are still in perfect feather.

When you have a single male there is less chance of trouble. With 2 or more males they can feel like they have to compete.

One of those girls:
20200630_120840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom