Rooster with multiple sores on face

Is acidified copper sulfate compatible with antibiotics? That's the treatment for canker and it's also the time of year I typically start giving it (rainy day followed by hot day = fungal paradise). I'll do some reading.

Well that's not a good development. I'm devastated.

Attachments

• 20181215_114936.jpg
    20181215_114936.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 33
Oh Dear! I'm so sorry:hugs

TBH, I do not know if Acidified Copper Sulfate can be used in conjunction with the antibiotics you are using or not. @casportpony or @Eggcessive may know, but since you have been under vet care, it's always good to consult them and discuss the course of treatment.

If he has been scratching he may have introduced some bacteria to his eye, but a lot of times bubbles can be a sign of MG (Mycoplasma). Have your vet test a swab to see what that could be.
General care would be to flush the eyes with saline and apply something like Terramycin eye ointment in the eye.

I'm so very sorry he is like this, he's beautiful and looks like such a good boy.

Wyorp Rock is right about getting testing for mycoplasma (MG.) That can be done with a PCR test by the vet, who would perhaps need to send it off for testing. Your rooster could have low immunity for some reason, possibly from viruses, such as Mareks or leukosis, which causes a low white blood cell count. Tylan 50 can be used orally for MG, but since you have vet care, I would use Baytril or something stronger.

He had a rough hatch and is deformed on one side. Hence my being so close to him. He ended up being very intelligent and easily trainable. He comes inside the house on his own each evening, eats like a dog from bowls on the floor and then hops up on the couch. It's always the ones you love who end up hurting the most. I'll ask the vet. Thanks for the info. Two and a half years is far too soon for this little guy who's been so full of life.

Vet got back to me. He said it "May indicate caseous pus in infraorbital sinus (not good)" and is willing to euthanize over the weekend before he starts to suffer. I'm lucky to have an amazing avian vet but i'm so devastated. I love this little bird. He's preening right now so he's not suffering yet. Uuuuugh.

Vet got back to me. He said it "May indicate caseous pus in infraorbital sinus (not good)" and is willing to euthanize over the weekend before he starts to suffer. I'm lucky to have an amazing avian vet but i'm so devastated. I love this little bird. He's preening right now so he's not suffering yet. Uuuuugh.
:hugs:hugs

Hugs. Eye foam is a symptom of mycoplasma gallisepticum. That can cause a sinus infection, and symptoms can be treated with Tylan, Baytril, Tetracylcine drugs, and Denagard. If you do decide to put him down or he dies, I would save his body and get the necropsy by your state vet who can do lab cultures for MG and also look for other diseases.

Back
Top Bottom