Rooster with no feathers. Any theories?

Fionnbarr

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2023
Hello all,

Ok, I have a 2 year old Rhodebar rooster who's practically naked.
He's not moulting -- he's been like this for about six months.
He doesn't have mites (I've checked -- there's nothing on him).
His behaviour is otherwise normal: he eats, struts, defends the flock, and generally has a bad-ass attitude.
No other birds in the flock look like this.
Food is standard Peaveymart layer feed (he just eats what the hens eat).
Coop is clean (relatively -- as clean as a chicken coop can reasonably be) -- bedding is straw and compressed corn husks, but he uses the roosting perches, so...
He has access to a sand bath.
He gets regular access to grass, bugs, etc. (I let the flock out regularly to wander the yard).
Poop seems normal.

Aside from the fact that he's a nudist, he seems fine.

The pic doesn't do it justice. Pick him up and look under his wings and he's all just skin.

I'd welcome any theories as to what I can do to help this poor guy.

20230605_173200.jpg

Could some of the other birds in the flock be pulling his feathers? Overpreening? Deficiency of some kind (protein, vitamins, etc)? Could he be losing feathers by getting caught on something (either repeatedly or single incident)?

I haven't noticed any of the other birds picking at him. Frankly, he'd stomp them if they did. I also don't see him overpreening, and there's nothing for him to get caught on.

Deficiency is a possibility, but I wouldn't know where to start with that, which is why I posted the question in hopes that someone else might have seen something like this.

What percentage protein is his layer feed? Roosters need at least 20% protein in their diets. If he is getting 16% protein (which is what most layer feed is), that could be an issue. Feathers are made of keratin which is mostly protein. The layer feed also has too much calcium for him which can damage his organs over time (liver, I think).

Your entire flock could be on starter or all flock feed with oyster shells on the side for the ladies. That would give rooster the protein he needs and less calcium that he doesn't need.

Otherwise, you could give him some additional protein (eggs, etc) to help his feathers regrow.

What percentage protein is his layer feed? Roosters need at least 20% protein in their diets. If he is getting 16% protein (which is what most layer feed is), that could be an issue. Feathers are made of keratin which is mostly protein. The layer feed also has too much calcium for him which can damage his organs over time (liver, I think).

Your entire flock could be on starter or all flock feed with oyster shells on the side for the ladies. That would give rooster the protein he needs and less calcium that he doesn't need.

Otherwise, you could give him some additional protein (eggs, etc) to help his feathers regrow.
The layer feed is 17% protein, so it's likely part of the problem.

Another problem is that I've asked at my local feed supplier for "all flock feed" and got blank stares. They have starter, grower/finisher, and layer. All have 17% protein. They have a "chicken expert" who was off today, so I'll check back tomorrow and pick his brain about what he does for his own rooster, assuming he has one.

So starter feed is ok for adult chickens?

Anyway, I gave my guy a hard poached duck egg today (in case he's not into cannibalism) and he snarfed it down. He gets an egg a day until I can figure out a source for food with more protein for him. I may need to resort to mealworms in the food generally.

Thanks for the advice MarlaMac!

The layer feed is 17% protein, so it's likely part of the problem.

Another problem is that I've asked at my local feed supplier for "all flock feed" and got blank stares. They have starter, grower/finisher, and layer. All have 17% protein. They have a "chicken expert" who was off today, so I'll check back tomorrow and pick his brain about what he does for his own rooster, assuming he has one.

So starter feed is ok for adult chickens?

Anyway, I gave my guy a hard poached duck egg today (in case he's not into cannibalism) and he snarfed it down. He gets an egg a day until I can figure out a source for food with more protein for him. I may need to resort to mealworms in the food generally.

Thanks for the advice MarlaMac!
Hello.

Yes, starter feed is okay for full grown chickens, it in fact gives them a higher level of protein which is better than the standard layer feed. The only thing is it doesn't have enough calcium for layers, but if you offer oyster shells on the side, the hens will take what they need. My hens are picky and will only eat the flaked oyster shells, not the pebbles.

It is hard to believe their starter line only has 17% protein. That is not enough for growing chicks - they need a higher level of protein to develop fully.

Any egg a day is good for him until you can sort out some food with higher protein. I would be hesitant to just add mealworms to the normal feed - chickens are experts at picking out what they really like and leaving the rest. That would start a entire new nutritional problem for you. I would leave the mealworms for an occasional treat.

Hoping he starts to regrow his feathers!

He seems to have some new feathers growing in in the middle of the picture and on his neck. He may have been molting and they have pecked out his new feathers when they came in. Other chickens may pull out feathers and eat them while they are hanging out around the coop or on the roost. You could try using some pine tar on his bare spots, or the purple spray BluKote to hide red spots. It will take time to wear off eventually.

I never saw it asked / talked about… any way u could seperate him for about a month in a coop of its own?? hes gonna go NUTS for about a day or two being separated… but for his own good. Separate for about a month and let him try and grow feathers without others picking the fresh ones off.

I'm thinking it's nutritional ... Strongly suggest changing feed to an "all flock" or "multi flock" or starter/grower for all. Adding a separate dish for Oyster Shells for the hens. Have read although some will say not ... Layer is NOT for chicks nor Roos, affects their kidney/liver with the higher calcium. High protein (18% - 20%) is a good all around for chicks & adults too; growing, laying & molting take alot of "energy". One feed feeds all saves on space and time too.

I used to do "stage" feeding until few years ago about the time/nutrition it too for a hen to produce an egg. Have been feeding 20% Flock Raiser from chick to adult hens, separate dish of Oyster Shells (100%) and grit available for hens ... Haven't had any issues and molting has been lots of loose feathers but not noticeable on the girls.

You could feed extra protein "treats" but a well rounded diet is the best ... I know from experience

Back
Top Bottom