Rooster with part purple comb

Buffmama

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Medina, NY
Hello,
Ok, so I search for answers and fall asleep while reading so I never find them. Here's our issue we have 4 roos. We have one who is especially mean who takes a nip at you any time he thinks he can get away with it. Usually gets a quick smack to the tail feathers for his efforts. Not sure if this has anything to do with a part of his comb turning dark. It happens at any time of the day and not sure if it stays that way for long though I have checked on him throughout the day and he will be normal then change later to dark. Any thoughts on what is happening? I would appreciate your input. Thank you.

Jodi

My roo has this too and he is narcoleptic! Not literally, he doesn't fall completely asleep. He will, however, doze off every few minutes then wake and take a few steps, then doze again. His comb is often tinged with blue/purple and if anything causes him to over-exert himself....mating, or panic...he pants afterwards. I have always assumed this to be due to circulation/heart problems so would never breed from him but he is otherwise a happy boy and takes good care of my girls whilst remaining very docile so culling was not a consideration.

Does this happen often? I was planning to give him a new home. I can't kill him because I promised my DDs immunity to our first group of chickens. Is there anything to be done for a chicken with a bad heart? I am going to our local county fair today and talking to the lady in charge of the poultry section. Hopefully she can help us find a home for him and another roo(yet to be decided). Thanks.
Jodi

I can't imagine there's anything you can do for him, other than find him a good home and make sure the new owner is aware of the issue so they do not breed from him.

My rooster gets purple tips randomly. Warm weather, cool weather, excited, calm, angry or not...it's always random. He's fine. Really. It's okay.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom