Rooster with sour crop?? Help please!?

I think my roo has sour crop. He's not eating but he won't stop drinking. He seems to like spit up. I know that chickens can't vomit but he has liquid coming out of his mouth. His crop is big and squishy and feels like a water balloon. He's not crowing and is slow moving if he moves at all. I'm not sure what to do but everything I google about what's going on with him comes to sour crop. I do know that he's not impacted because there is nothing hard anywhere around his crop. It's just a big soft squishy lump. I don't want him to have any lasting problems from this and want to get it cleared up as soon as possible. I have him separated from the others. I was reading another post where it said nystatin is safe for them. I have some in cream form that was prescribed for my baby when he had diaper rash. Can I use this?
This is what I did when I had a chicken with sour crop. I loosened his crop with water and I made her regurgitate. You have to make sure they don't aspirate. They can't cough because they don't had a gag reflex. I expelled all the yeast and infection and feed her yogurt and powerade. Yogurt replaced the nasty bacteria in her crop with healthy ones. She was cured from the sour crop, but died of other health complications a few days later. I would do allot of research before doing anything like regurgitation.

I think my roo has sour crop. He's not eating but he won't stop drinking. He seems to like spit up. I know that chickens can't vomit but he has liquid coming out of his mouth. His crop is big and squishy and feels like a water balloon. He's not crowing and is slow moving if he moves at all. I'm not sure what to do but everything I google about what's going on with him comes to sour crop. I do know that he's not impacted because there is nothing hard anywhere around his crop. It's just a big soft squishy lump.

Can you get some photos of his poop and of him?

Look inside his beak - any lesions, canker, white pasty material?

Any chance he ate feed that was moldy?
I would make water available for him during waking hours, but withhold feed for a day.
Re-check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's gone down any.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Can you get some photos of his poop and of him?

Look inside his beak - any lesions, canker, white pasty material?

Any chance he ate feed that was moldy?
I would make water available for him during waking hours, but withhold feed for a day.
Re-check the crop first thing in the morning to see if it's gone down any.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
His poop is just a clear watery like "squirt" with a couple spots in it. I'll get a pic in a minute. All feed is dry and kept in storage bins so nothing can contaminate it. I'll try to check inside his beak. His crop isn't emptying over night. The day before yesterday he started with being slow and not eating as much but he was eating. Yesterday he didn't eat at all but he drank tons. I mean like a 3rd of a 1 gallon poultry waterer to himself! I thought he just wasn't getting enough water at first bc he's always always letting the other birds ahead of him and we've had a couple warmer days. But last night once everyone was roosted I went and I got him out and checked and his crop is super qlsquishy like I described and gurgling a little like someone who has gas. This morning it was no different and so I've got him separated and haven't given any feed at all just some garlic water. I was told to try and flush his crop but I'm terrified to even try!

I don't know if this will help because my old girl had what seems like a milder case and you may not have it available, but what I gave her was kefir until I saw improvement. The non sweetened kind in the store is great in a pinch but homemade is better (offering the grains is the best).

I prefer this to yogurt because yogurt only has beneficial bacteria whereas kefir has both beneficial bacteria and yeast as well as better at colonizing. Don't get me wrong, yogurt is good, but the kind of beneficial bacteria it has doesn't have the same staying power.

I hope your boy gets better.

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_135847024.jpg
    IMG_20201022_135847024.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 6
Here he is. I can't remember if I mentioned before or not that his comb is leaning really bad to one side.

Attachments

• IMG_20201022_140151160_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201022_140151160_HDR.jpg
    627.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201022_140204191_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201022_140204191_HDR.jpg
    592.3 KB · Views: 6
His poop is just a clear watery like "squirt" with a couple spots in it. I'll get a pic in a minute. All feed is dry and kept in storage bins so nothing can contaminate it. I'll try to check inside his beak. His crop isn't emptying over night. The day before yesterday he started with being slow and not eating as much but he was eating. Yesterday he didn't eat at all but he drank tons. I mean like a 3rd of a 1 gallon poultry waterer to himself! I thought he just wasn't getting enough water at first bc he's always always letting the other birds ahead of him and we've had a couple warmer days. But last night once everyone was roosted I went and I got him out and checked and his crop is super qlsquishy like I described and gurgling a little like someone who has gas. This morning it was no different and so I've got him separated and haven't given any feed at all just some garlic water. I was told to try and flush his crop but I'm terrified to even try!
Here he is. I can't remember if I mentioned before or not that his comb is leaning really bad to one side.
It's really hard to know which direction to go sometimes, so read all the info you can and make the best decision.

The gurgling and the color of his comb is concerning to me.
I would treat as blockage and as sour crop if he was mine.
1 Stool Softener and yeast cream (Clotrimazole or Miconizole). I would be tempted to direct dose him with liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days. Yes, all 3 things.

Do make water available, but withhold feed. If you can cage him for a day or so and it won't stress him too much, then do that so you can monitor his poop.

It's really hard to know which direction to go sometimes, so read all the info you can and make the best decision.

The gurgling and the color of his comb is concerning to me.
I would treat as blockage and as sour crop if he was mine.
1 Stool Softener and yeast cream (Clotrimazole or Miconizole). I would be tempted to direct dose him with liquid Corid at a rate of .10ml per pound of weight once a day for 3 days. Yes, all 3 things.

Do make water available, but withhold feed. If you can cage him for a day or so and it won't stress him too much, then do that so you can monitor his poop.

Okay. I'll try to get my hands on these. I know tractor supply has corid but what about the other 2 do you know? Should I continue with the garlic in his water or just plain water? I have him locked on my back porch. It's got room for him to move around and gates on both ends so he can't get out without flying and in his predicament he's not doing that anytime soon.

Okay. I'll try to get my hands on these. I know tractor supply has corid but what about the other 2 do you know? Should I continue with the garlic in his water or just plain water? I have him locked on my back porch. It's got room for him to move around and gates on both ends so he can't get out without flying and in his predicament he's not doing that anytime soon.
You can find stool softener and the yeast creams at WalMart, CVS, Dollar General..

Back
Top Bottom