Rooster with sour crop?? Help please!?

Okay. So talking to my husband about this we're trying to figure out the best treatment for the money. Permethrin is alot cheaper at tractor supply than the elector psp. But is it effective? If we have to spend more for better quality I'm definitely all for it. But if we can get the same results and save a few bucks I'm for that too! So what are your thoughts on the best to use or what do you know of that gives the best result?

Okay. So talking to my husband about this we're trying to figure out the best treatment for the money. Permethrin is alot cheaper at tractor supply than the elector psp. But is it effective? If we have to spend more for better quality I'm definitely all for it. But if we can get the same results and save a few bucks I'm for that too! So what are your thoughts on the best to use or what do you know of that gives the best result?
It seems like Permethrin may be losing some of it's effectiveness - I honestly don't know, but reading threads here on BYC people seem to be having trouble. I'm not sure if it's a user problem or effectiveness problem. I've only used Permethrin as a perimeter spray around my coop, not on my birds so I couldn't tell you exactly how effective it is to be honest.

Again with the Elector PSP. I've never used that, but those that have seem to be happy with the results. The only negative I've read is really only mix what you will use since it seems once mixed with water the solution doesn't store well.

Frontline I have used. It's not labeled for use in poultry. I never saw evidence of bugs on my birds, but I have treated them once a year with the Frontline (1 spray under each wing and under the vent). I eat the eggs and have processed birds too. A friend of mine that keeps a lot of roosters and hens goes a step further and dusts his chickens with Sevin as well. He places the dust in pantyhose and pats the dust onto the birds. He feels this is most effective by using both. Not more than 2X a year.

It can be overwhelming to decide what to use and how to do it - you will get so many opinions and suggestions. I'm all about being economical, but I also like to use something that is effective.

It seems like Permethrin may be losing some of it's effectiveness - I honestly don't know, but reading threads here on BYC people seem to be having trouble. I'm not sure if it's a user problem or effectiveness problem. I've only used Permethrin as a perimeter spray around my coop, not on my birds so I couldn't tell you exactly how effective it is to be honest.

Again with the Elector PSP. I've never used that, but those that have seem to be happy with the results. The only negative I've read is really only mix what you will use since it seems once mixed with water the solution doesn't store well.

Frontline I have used. It's not labeled for use in poultry. I never saw evidence of bugs on my birds, but I have treated them once a year with the Frontline (1 spray under each wing and under the vent). I eat the eggs and have processed birds too. A friend of mine that keeps a lot of roosters and hens goes a step further and dusts his chickens with Sevin as well. He places the dust in pantyhose and pats the dust onto the birds. He feels this is most effective by using both. Not more than 2X a year.

It can be overwhelming to decide what to use and how to do it - you will get so many opinions and suggestions. I'm all about being economical, but I also like to use something that is effective.
Okay. Now a couple last questions and I promise I'll leave you be!
The frontline your referring to, is that something I can get over the counter? I've always heard of frontline for dogs and cats fleas but given by vet. If I can get it over the counter is it a spray or do I have to make a solution?
The sevin your talking about is that sevindust used for like treating yards against bugs and stuff? If so isn't that toxic to animals for a certain amount of time? If it's something different can you let me know what?
Sorry I'm asking so much. I've never had this problem and I feel like a horrible bird owner bc of it!

Okay. Now a couple last questions and I promise I'll leave you be!
The frontline your referring to, is that something I can get over the counter? I've always heard of frontline for dogs and cats fleas but given by vet. If I can get it over the counter is it a spray or do I have to make a solution?
The sevin your talking about is that sevindust used for like treating yards against bugs and stuff? If so isn't that toxic to animals for a certain amount of time? If it's something different can you let me know what?
Sorry I'm asking so much. I've never had this problem and I feel like a horrible bird owner bc of it!
It's frontline spray. I think I ordered mine off Amazon, but looks like you may have to get if from Chewy or someplace else.
https://www.chewy.com/frontline-spray-dogs-cats/dp/119352

Sevin (Carbaryl), my understanding is it's no longer labeled for use in poultry but it has been used for years. I use it in my garden on vegetables that I eat, so....

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/pesticides-used-for-control-poultry-insect-pests

It's always good to look up info about any product you are considering using taking into account of your own and your family's sensitivity to chemicals, etc.

It's frontline spray. I think I ordered mine off Amazon, but looks like you may have to get if from Chewy or someplace else.
https://www.chewy.com/frontline-spray-dogs-cats/dp/119352

Sevin (Carbaryl), my understanding is it's no longer labeled for use in poultry but it has been used for years. I use it in my garden on vegetables that I eat, so....

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/pesticides-used-for-control-poultry-insect-pests

It's always good to look up info about any product you are considering using taking into account of your own and your family's sensitivity to chemicals, etc.
Okay. Thanks! Sorry to ask so much! I really appreciate your help! I'll post some updates hopefully soon on what happens.

Back
Top Bottom