Rooster with sour crop?? Help please!?

Pics
Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that:(

Have you considered getting a necropsy so you can find out more information about why he was sick?
I did talk to my husband about it but we've called the vets around here and no one will do it unless it's an immediate threat to the whole flock and we can't prove that so they said with the rest of the flock being healthy and not showing any signs of illness they don't have " sufficient reasoning" I guess.

I did talk to my husband about it but we've called the vets around here and no one will do it unless it's an immediate threat to the whole flock and we can't prove that so they said with the rest of the flock being healthy and not showing any signs of illness they don't have " sufficient reasoning" I guess.
Most vets in NC likely would give that answer.
For future reference, we have 4 state lab locations that you can send or take a body to for necropsy/testing. Elkin, Monroe, Arden/Fletcher and Raleigh. http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

A lot of us do our own informal necropsy just to see if there's anything obvious. Not for everyone, but it can be learning experience.

I'm sorry that he didn't make it.

Most vets in NC likely would give that answer.
For future reference, we have 4 state lab locations that you can send or take a body to for necropsy/testing. Elkin, Monroe, Arden/Fletcher and Raleigh. http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

A lot of us do our own informal necropsy just to see if there's anything obvious. Not for everyone, but it can be learning experience.

I'm sorry that he didn't make it.
Thank you for that info! I appreciate it! And thanks for all your help with everything. I found a friend who has some corid she's giving us tonight to have just in case and she's also got some spray and powder treatment for the mites and lice that she just got done with. Can I give the whole flock a dose of corid just as a preventative for whatever was ailing my roo?

Thank you for that info! I appreciate it! And thanks for all your help with everything. I found a friend who has some corid she's giving us tonight to have just in case and she's also got some spray and powder treatment for the mites and lice that she just got done with. Can I give the whole flock a dose of corid just as a preventative for whatever was ailing my roo?
You can give them the Corid if that will ease your mind. It's mild and won't hurt them.
After you finish course of treatment I would give them some probiotics (yogurt/buttermilk or purchased probiotics) and vitamins for a couple of days.

You can give them the Corid if that will ease your mind. It's mild and won't hurt them.
After you finish course of treatment I would give them some probiotics (yogurt/buttermilk or purchased probiotics) and vitamins for a couple of days.
Okay. I'll do that just to make sure. I have the vitamins and electrolytes already (I'm out of yogurt I had for roo) that I've been giving to the whole flock just in case for when I start their treatment tonight for the mites/lice. I started that yesterday. Can I put the corid and the vitamins in the same water or is it better to keep separate?

Okay. I'll do that just to make sure. I have the vitamins and electrolytes already (I'm out of yogurt I had for roo) that I've been giving to the whole flock just in case for when I start their treatment tonight for the mites/lice. I started that yesterday. Can I put the corid and the vitamins in the same water or is it better to keep separate?
Don't give them any extra vitamins until you finish the Corid treatment.

Back
Top Bottom