Rooster with swollen toes-trouble walking

booch

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 3, 2010
Hello, we have 2 Ameraucana roosters with swollen white toes, close to the nail, with some blackening at the nail.
any ideas what this is?

Some background:
We have 3 old black austrolorpe layers, and in August we hatched out some black copper Marin and Ameraucana eggs we got in the mail, about 8 birds total.
Introduced them all together in October and things went fine.
Of the new batch, we got 2 Ameraucana roosters and one black Copper Marin rooster.
Only the 2 Ameraucana roosters are showing these symptoms, all other chickens very healthy.
They were raised on chicken grower but have all chickens on layer pellets now.
It doesn't look like classic bumble foot to us, as the underside of the feet look fine and its starting at the toe. Its curious that its only Americana roosters.
We live in Connecticut and its been a moderate winter, they are in an unheated coop but we have had few nights below 20F and all other chickens fine.

Thanks very much for any info.

I agree, it looks like frostbite. @theoldchick has provided a very good link with information.

I would not rub the affected toes since this can be painful. Corn will not prevent frostbite. Frostbite is due to exposure. The birds may be getting their feet a bit wet before roosting, they may not be covering their feet while roosting or ....?

Monitor the feet to see if they are healing, provide them with dry bedding. Depending on the severity of the exposure (and repeated exposure) some birds may lose their nail or even part of affected toes.

sorry looks like the image did not attach

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 8
Although I live in a warm climate, that looks like frostbite. You might prevent frostbite by rubbing petroleum jelly or Neosporin gel into their feet and combs. You may want to make sure their toes are completely covered at night. Giving them a roost bar made from a 2x4 piece of wood (never metal) turned wide side horizontal, and feed them whole corn before going to bed, might prevent further frostbite. Also there should be coop walls to stop drafts but wire mesh lined holes to let condensation escape. That’s what works for me
***Edited to add, if the roosters are caged separately, give each boy at least one hen to snuggle with. Never alone

Thanks for the reply.
Are Ameraucana roosters more susceptible to frostbite?
We have kept several breeds for 20 years in much colder conditions and never seen frostbite.
We'll try your suggestions.
Paul

Back
Top Bottom