Rooster with swollen wattles is doing better but needs dubbed

Poohbear,
I have to apologize for being a little rash last night
hmm.png
I am woman and can get moody sometimes...
roll.png
You are right, I don't know anything about dubbing, but it sounds like you do...and if folks are going to do it, it's nice to know that there is someone on the boards that has an idea what they're doing AND the experience to back it up
big_smile.png

There is some misinformation out there (like I was told by someone to cuaterize) and at that point decided that perhaps people shouldn't be doing this without experience. Anyway, I hope you can forgive my ignorance on the subject
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Morelcabin, If you will accept my sincere apologies, I will accept yours, although I do not feel you owe an apology. I think it is good of you to write your opinions and try to help people and animals by doing so. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you are somehow a medical person and could take care of people when I'd be wringing my hands and yelling for HELP! I've been raising chickens all my life and most other animals and fowl too for that matter. The dubbing and care of chickens was my job that was assigned as a child along with several other duties on our place. It may have sounded as if I was agitated by the way I post but I was not. it's just hard to write an facial expression or a mindset on a computer. Healthy debate is what makes us stronger and our fowl and animals healthier. Heaven knows. I learn things right here on this site that I didn't know and I'm estatic to learn them. I would very much like to think we could be cyber friends and continue a good converstion here. Lifes too short to not smile every chance we get. lets get back to the site, friend!
smile.png

Thank you for being so gracious and acceptng my apology :>) Yes I would like to be friends, and yes, computers can come across sounding alot more harsh than they are!
I'm not a medical person, just a mom who takes charge in situations when need be, dabble in herbs and self sufficiency. Good with healing wounds, but not a surgeon by any means...be it minor or major:>) I've raised chickens for eggs and meat for about 10 years now, and I am not typically afraid to do what needs to be done...but I guess dubbing just went beyond my scope of understanding:>)
I learn alot on this site and share alot on this site...just like you.
Nice to meet you Poohbear...too bad you don't live closer, I have a roo that needs some frostbite care in a big way...but I am not fully convinced that I could or should dubb him:>) LOL! Would love to have someone with experience come and do it for me...heehee!

Last edited:
Maybe I can come over and dub him for you. What part of Texas is canada in:lol:???
lol.png
Just kidding of course! I've seen some good points posted on dubbing on this site though.

Well, after checking on him again...I think if i don't dubb I might lose him...he's not doing very well, but he is eating and drinking. Gangerine is now a concern...( I think...I've never actually seen gangerine but green is not good)
I think I might look for a farmer around here that can do him for me...I seriuosly cannot stand the thought of cutting off one of his body parts while he is alive and conscious. Actually comb and wattles are both very bad. I was hoping to use him for breeding this spring. He is a huge rooster and I am breeding for size (meat)

Last edited:
Just got back from the store. I bought a pair of "Razor Edged" Fiskars. The package says that they are "The sharpest blades we make". The New Moon is Jan 26 and I think I will be trying my hand at dubbing the night before. I put the rooster back in the coop with the rest of the birds this afternoon and he seems fine. In one of Poohbear's posts he mentions dubbing so the bird can get its head under its wing to stay warm. I watched the rooster tonight for a few minutes while he was on the roost. He tried and tried but could not keep his head tucked back. It sounds to me like Poohbear really knows what he is talking about. I'll let you all know how it goes this weekend.

The "healthy" rooster (he has frostbite too but not as bad) must have aggravated the other one all day while I was at work. Before I left this morning they were sizing each other up. I expected that since the one had been away for a few days. I figured they had never had problems before and there were enough hens to go around (18 hens) so they would settle it quickly. I was wrong. When I got home this afternoon I found the healthy rooster stalking the other all around in their pen. When the frostbitten one went outside so did the other and when the frostbitten one came inside the other one followed him there too. The frostbitten rooster could not get away from the other one. The frostbitten one was bloody from being pecked in the comb, where I had snipped 2 tips off his comb a few days ago. So, I decided to even the score. I pulled them both out and seperated them in small pens in my shed. Then I got out all of my "surgical" supplies and dubbed them both. I just went out and checked on them a few minutes ago and they have settled down nicely.

I don't care what anybody says, they bled a lot more than just a few drops. Now it's done and hopefully I won't have any more frostbite issues.

The first one squirmed a little more than I would have liked and bled a lot more than I would have liked. I decided to ice the second one before dubbing. That seemed to help immensely. He hardly flinched when I cut and he did not bleed half as much as the first one. I simply held a few ice cubes against the area to be dubbed for about a minute prior to cutting. I think in the future that is how I will do it. I put flour on the wound after cutting and I guess it helped a little.

After dubbing for the first time I wouldn't do it again if I didn't have to. I was afraid of infection due to frostbite so that is why I felt it necessary to dub them.

When dubbing, so you cut off only the tips? What about if the WHOLE comb has turned black? Is it safe to cut off ALL of it? That's the problem I have...there is no red left on the comb anymore. Have been doing my darndest to provide heat for him but it isn't getting any better. Now my other roo has frostbite on only the tips...I am thinking if it stays on the tips only they will just naturally fall off and he'll be fine. His comb is not as enormous as the first one's is:>) Both thier wattles have been getting wet in the drinking water and both have wattles that are close to 3" long now and frostbitten/swollen as well. I have ordered Chanteclers for next year...not playing with combs and wattles in this climate anymore after this!

Back
Top Bottom