Rooster with young chicks

RedHillChicken

Songster
Dec 3, 2022
Should we allow our barred rock rooster to be able to free range and co-mingle with our 11 week old pullet chicks? We have integrated the flock of 14 new chicks, 2 hens, and our rooster for a couple of weeks now, and just want to be cautious.

Should we allow our barred rock rooster to be able to free range and co-mingle with our 11 week old pullet chicks? We have integrated the flock of 14 new chicks, 2 hens, and our rooster for a couple of weeks now, and just want to be cautious.
I'm confused.
You have 2 adult hens and 1 adult rooster.
You've recently let 14 new chicks mingle with the three adults and now you have some 11 week old pullets you want to try to integrate with the rest?

I have never had a mature rooster threaten a young chick. I have had some roosters help a broody hen take care of her babies. The rooster considers any baby chicks to be his offspring so he wants them to succeed.

Your risk may be if you wait until they are no longer young enough for him to consider them his offspring he may consider any males in them to be his rivals. I'd want those pullets roaming with him as soon as possible, should make integration easier. I'm just glad they are pullets and not cockerels.

I'm confused.
You have 2 adult hens and 1 adult rooster.
You've recently let 14 new chicks mingle with the three adults and now you have some 11 week old pullets you want to try to integrate with the rest?
Yes, we have 2 adult hens and 1 adult rooster. We recently let the 14 eleven week old chicks mingle with the 2 hens and 1 rooster.

I have never had a mature rooster threaten a young chick. I have had some roosters help a broody hen take care of her babies. The rooster considers any baby chicks to be his offspring so he wants them to succeed.

Your risk may be if you wait until they are no longer young enough for him to consider them his offspring he may consider any males in them to be his rivals. I'd want those pullets roaming with him as soon as possible, should make integration easier. I'm just glad they are pullets and not cockerels.
Thanks. They have really become a close flock in these past weeks, and the rooster does seem to have command control of them. No, we only have 1 rooster, which is why I was asking about him trying to mate with them too early.

Yes, we have 2 adult hens and 1 adult rooster. We recently let the 14 eleven week old chicks mingle with the 2 hens and 1 rooster.
You can integrate them fully. I've integrated 8-9 week old pullets with a rooster and adult hens before with no issue.

He will eventually mate them, but probably not right away. I can't remember the timeline when we did ours, but I don't recall any issues in the regard.

Back
Top Bottom