Rooster woes

How about splitting the flock? Means another coop and run or a fence down the middle.

I had a choice like that once. Made my choice, rehomed the other, then chosen roo mysteriously died a month later. Totally heartbroken. So, I am personally a little leery especially when you have two you adore.

I have honestly thought about making a bachelor pen. I mean, I have another juvenile rooster who is 12 weeks old AND I hatched out at least 1, maybe 2, CCLB males a little over a week ago. There's also two other EE chicks that could possibly be males. However, my DH is in the process of building me a 3rd coop right now. If I asked for another one, I think he'd serve me divorce papers instead.... Funny, but not, ya know?

I do know what you mean though.... That's part of the reason why I have hesitated culling him before now. We've had problems with hawks and foxes. I have many chickens, including these two roos, who jump the fence to free range without permission. I liked having both roos around because it was double the lookout.

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has replied. I am considering all the advice carefully...

I wrote an entire response and then accidentally deleted it all. Sigh...

I have boiled it down to 3 options -

1. Cull him. DH said he doesn't want to do it until a weekend.

2. Rehome him. Least confident about this option. I posted about this on another thread about an experience giving away kittens. Traumatizing. Never again. I would want to know and verify whomever takes him actually has poultry.

3. Build a bachelor pen. I have an old 8 x 10 dog kennel that is in rough shape and not being used. I might be able to fix it up and use it for a bachelor pen. Not sure about this but it's an idea

He we have several roosters at once, but I'm ready to go to an alternate plan any time it's necessary. Cass and Fabio are done living together, and if you have cockerels or roosters who have attacked you, they should be the ones leaving.
I wouldn't turn Cass outside, he needs to be in a coop, or gone another way. Too many miserable night time predator experiences, at least here, to have any birds not in a safe place overnight. Daytime predators are bad enough!
Maybe one of your younger cockerels will get along better with Fabio, or maybe not. Worth trying?
Mary

If Cass had been raised to free range all the time and there was enough acreage to separate the two where they wouldn't come in contact with each other, I'd certainly entertain the idea. But that is unfortunately not the case here. I either need to rehome him (anyone in Arkansas looking for an EE rooster? :p ) or most likely cull him. The tricky part will be catching him. He roosts in the rafters of the coop so I can't get him down without a ladder.

2. Rehome him. Least confident about this option. I posted about this on another thread about an experience giving away kittens. Traumatizing. Never again. I would want to know and verify whomever takes him actually has poultry.
If I think someone sounds or texts a little goofy I ask for photos of coop and flock, location etc. I let them know these are my babies and I want them landing well. They can call me a crazy chicken lady lol, the rest and the ones I want will want to deal with me again. Any quality person will want a quality chook raised by a quality person. You just have to hold out for a good one - hence dog cages. I have found most chicken people to be up and up. Like BYC in person.
3. Build a bachelor pen. I have an old 8 x 10 dog kennel that is in rough shape and not being used. I might be able to fix it up and use it for a bachelor pen. Not sure about this but it's an idea

That sounds awesome!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom