Rooster wont stop crowing !

Faraz1

Songster
Aug 16, 2019
SO i have 2 roosters, one Shamo (1.5 years old) and one Leghorn (8 months old). Since the last few weeks the Leghorn has started crowing much more than usual also at odd hours during the night as well e.g 1am, 3am, 4am etc whilst the Shamo and other flock members sleep soundly.

Both roosters are living in harmony and there doesnt seem to be any fights going on between them apart from a couple which caused a slight injury on the leghorns comb and has now recovered. The shamo does crow as well but it is much less frequent. The reason i kept the Leghorn was to replace him with the Shamo but now with the excessive crowing i am having second thoughts. Both roosters have been grown from chicks under a broody and their mama is in the same flock.

Yes, but i am also trying to understand why this rooster is crowing more than the other one , especially at night.

Yes, but i am also trying to understand why this rooster is crowing more than the other one , especially at night.
One way my friend keeps his rooster quiet at night I'd by putting him in a small 'cage' that is completely dark inside. He is put in there when it's dusk and taken out after dawn.

As an answer as to why he's crowing more, each rooster is different and I find young roosters crow more than older ones until they settle in. I don't know why rooster decide to crow at outrageous hours of the morning either 😑

I'm sorry I can't have been of more help, feel free to ask for any clarifications.

I'd say it's hormonal and it depends on the age. My rooster crowed often during the night when he was a teenager (less than a year old), he completely stopped doing that when he was around one year and a half. Now he's 3 and he only crows when I open the coop, sometimes during the morning and sometimes in the afternoon, but it's a pleasure to listen, while when he was young I would have killed him, he kept waking me up in the night and he didn't stop during the day! Now I'm glad I put up with him, I love him very much!

Crowing can also be a dominance sign as well. Considering you have more than one rooster, this is likely why 1 of them is much more vocal than the other.

Crowing can also be a dominance sign as well. Considering you have more than one rooster, this is likely why 1 of them is much more vocal than the other.
Yes but shouldnt the Shamo be dominant and crowing as it is a much larger and older bird ?

Yes but i would think a leghorn wouldn't dominate a shamo, a gamebird breed that have historically been bred for cockfighting

Back
Top Bottom