Observations on two roosters

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
Often times people ask about how do you choose the right rooster out of a group, so I thought I would write down some observations.

I added two juvenile cockerels. They were crowing and in a flock mate flock, they thought they were hot stuff. I brought them home and Mrs. Feathers taught them some ettiquette. They have fit well into the flock of older hens and two juveniles. I have watched the juveniles pretty carefully as I do not want them harassed. And they have not been. I am assuming these boy are about 3 months old ~ 12 ish weeks.

Yesterday I let them out and was not too impressed. The two cockerels stayed close to the run/coop - the hens wandered off by them selves.

But today I saw something different. The one I am calling Long Johns - he caught a grasshopper, made a tentative tidbit call and Mrs. Feathers came over and accepted it. I swear she was smiling, "Oh, isn't he sweet?" A few moments later the hen flock moved off, and all at once, Long Johns realized it, and ran over to join them. Got right in the midst of them, and then while they were grazing, I see his head up and looking around more than down and eating. A good sign.

Meanwhile the other boy - no hat, is with one of the juveniles. He does not leave the coop/run, he is not paying attention to anything but possible grasshoppers and he is not tidbitting. He does not crow as often as Long John - so might just be a little younger, a little less hormones.

It is WAY to early to make a call, but I liked what I saw today. I originally liked No Hat a bit better because he has a tight comb. But for me and my girls it is not a deciding factor. They will be making big changes in the next 2-4 months. Neither may make the final cut, or rather both might be cut out. I will continue to post about these boys. Maybe it will help.

Mrs K

Last edited:
Thank you, but they are a rag bag bunch. I will try and get some pictures today.
IMG_3403.jpeg
IMG_3399.jpeg

Last edited:
I try when possible to let the hens decide. It's they after all that have to live with the male.
I would be interested to see some pictures of both males and the females they are intended to live with.
This picture you see the more dominant rooster Long John’s in amongst the more dominant hens. What I noticed today is the less dominant too tended to stand either away from the hen or so that LongJohns was between him and the hens. No tidbitting for anyone today, although more than once I saw the mature hens approaching LongJohns like they thought he might, and missed the cue. I think often we tend to think that animal behavior is one way, when really both sides have get the cues right. Like a broody and chicks.

Attachments

• IMG_3400.jpeg
    IMG_3400.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom