Rooster won’t let hens out of coop

When you don't have an older rooster or older hens to teach the cockerels the hierarchy or pecking order of the flock some become cruel. (some are just born mean) I hope you will show your girls mercy & remove this guy before he does worse. If him being cruel to your hens isn't reason enough to get rid of this guy maybe him getting worse is?

There is peace now and Vicky reins as the alpha rooster. The TL;DR is the hens needed to mature more to accept what turned out to be his attempts to mount them.

So shortly after I posted last, we ended up putting Vicky and the other older rooster in another coup, separate for two or three weeks. The hens immediately all came out of the coop and began looking healthier. The roosters were close enough to get used to seeing the hens come out and enjoy grass every day.

We decided to process the beta rooster to gave Vicky more space and remove any competition that could be feeding his undesired behavior.
Two or three weeks later we let Vicky out. And this time I closed the coop that he was chasing hens into. He chased again but this time it ended with the hens allowing him to mount. Or he tried to intimidate a hen into a chase and she would do nothing and everyone just goes on foraging.

We could see then that Vicky matured faster than the hens he hatched with. Was trying to mount them, by chasing them. They didn’t know what to do with his advances and ran away into the coup. Once they had space to gain more confidence belonging outside of the coup and matured. They either didn’t flinch when he tried to intimidate them into running, (and would stand their ground) or they would just accept his mounting and then go back to foraging.

It was a big drama but I’m glad I stuck in there and tried to give him the chance. Because I think hes been a great rooster and very gentlemanly. He alerts danger and food. He tidbits and gives food to hens first. We just keep the kids out of the paddock while he’s out of the coop. And we have a broody hen due to hatch this week. We candled the eggs and found 14 or so with development. Thanks Vicky! So I’m excited and wanted to update.

We live in Southeast Missouri. The Ozarks. Here’s photos of the coop. It is a modified Chickshaw 2.0. Our version has a back door for cleaning out fallen nesting box hay. So I’ve opened that up during the day. Vicky is still chasing hens back into coop regardless of which door. Good idea though. Was worth a try.
Congratulations !I hope Vicky continues to be a good flock master!

:welcome :welcome :welcome

You should keep the feed in the coop for starters.

Do the hens like the rooster? How long have you had everyone? Was there a recent predator attack or predator sighting? How many roosters and hens do you have that's together outside of the pullets? How long is his spurs?

Something to try:
The rooster is often the most active in the morning when everyone is first letted out. That's when he does the most mounting. The hens aren't always pleased with this. Try holding the rooster every morning when you let everyone out. After everyone has gotten their feed and water, put him down. Unless he's humiliated from being held, he should go after the hens and try mounting them as normal. Just now everyone's out, they can escape him better.
Hello all!
Curious ref your recent predator attack question!
I’m having the same issue with my 6mo old Roo not letting my 8wk pullets out in the run. He chases them right back in if they manage to get passed him guarding the ramp into the run from their coop; however, we have unfortunately had a recent predator attack… is this typical behavior in that circumstance? He lets them eat and drink all they want, even shares his treats inside the coop! I appreciate any further info you or anyone has. I’m new to raising chickens, so I’m flying blind! No pun intended. ;)

Hello all!
Curious ref your recent predator attack question!
I’m having the same issue with my 6mo old Roo not letting my 8wk pullets out in the run. He chases them right back in if they manage to get passed him guarding the ramp into the run from their coop; however, we have unfortunately had a recent predator attack… is this typical behavior in that circumstance? He lets them eat and drink all they want, even shares his treats inside the coop! I appreciate any further info you or anyone has. I’m new to raising chickens, so I’m flying blind! No pun intended. ;)

A maturing cockerel does not belong with two month old chicks without any adult hens to buffer.
You're new, so I understand your confusion, but it's a bad situation that's not going to resolve itself. Those chicks have no hope of defending themselves. And the cockerel has no one else to focus on.
You should contain the cockerel in a separate coop or in a pen inside the current run, until the pullets are laying eggs. Or rehome / cull him, like tomorrow.

A maturing cockerel does not belong with two month old chicks without any adult hens to buffer.
You're new, so I understand your confusion, but it's a bad situation that's not going to resolve itself. Those chicks have no hope of defending themselves. And the cockerel has no one else to focus on.
You should contain the cockerel in a separate coop or in a pen inside the current run, until the pullets are laying eggs. Or rehome / cull him, like tomorrow.
2x! :goodpost:

@Kstory305, a maturing cockerel to too young of pullets is a very bad thing. One of the issues is he'll start mounting them way too young, which can lead to stunted growth in the hens. He's too big for them, and can hurt them badly too. Separate him immediately.

Thank you for your reply + advice. I am not seeing any TRUE aggression nor biting from my rooster towards the pullets; he just does not allow them to be out in the run- he chases them back inside the coop, immediately.
I do have my pullets in a separate pen, built under my nesting boxes inside my coop, which is where they will stay until they are all old enough to mingle.
The only time I allow the pullets and the cockerel together is when I am able to sit in the yard or coop with them and observe their behaviors.
Would acquiring an adult hen help all of us?
My initial question was geared more toward if he was being overprotective since there was a predator attack recently that occurred in/around the run, but now I am panicked that I've messed up. I am working to grow my flock currently, as I also have 5 2wk old biddies in a pen up inside my house- and no, the babies will NOT be introduced into the coop outside containing the roo and the 2 pullets (8wks) until everyone is around the same size and I am sure this guy is a gentlemen with his ladies or he has found a new home.
I do appreciate any advice, just go easy on me, PLEASE.
This is all very new for me and it's very easy to get discouraged as I have no poultry experts nearby to chat with or observe on my 4x2 mile island....

Thank you.

It's not because of that. Roosters make a certain call that sounds the alert for predators nearby. The hens understand this noise. And will make there way to safety.

Your Rooster herding the hens back to the coop is a territorial attempt. He thinks it's his space.

My initial question was geared more toward if he was being overprotective since there was a predator attack recently that occurred in/around the run, but now I am panicked that I've messed up.

Yeah, like Tonyroo said, it's not a kindness or good act from him.
A cockerel that age is full of breeding hormones he doesn't know how to handle. Think 18 year old male.
The pullets are pre-pubescent, still just chicks. They don't have defenses against his desire to mate.
He's not herding them into the coop, he's trying to corner them so he can get on top of them, and they are running away to the only place they've felt safe before.
Of course, he can always just come in and do what he wants, because he's so much bigger and they're still timid chicks that don't know how to protect themselves (mature hens face off with a rooster so he can't get behind her, that is way too intimidating for chicks to do). So, the entire time they are hiding in the coop, they are worried he's going to come in.
The hormones of a pullet don't kick in until she's laying eggs, that's the only time she's a willing partner. Any mating before that is rape.

I realize criticism is hard to take, but for your future success with chickens, you should know that the area you described for the pullets under the nest boxes doesn't sound big enough for humane housing.
Feel free to post a picture if you want to talk some more about how to use the space.
The cockerel as a single bird should be the one locked up so the many can have more freedom.
You may also be able to integrate your younger chicks with the 2-month-old chicks as soon as the younger set have feathered up.
And if you post up a new thread of your own, a lot more people will see it and give you their opinions.

Back
Top Bottom