Rooster

I walk next to him all he time but if I walk next to him awhile a hen is next to him he gets mad but when he try's to attach me I look at him and he stops

Not next too, you need to walk towards him. If he gets upset with you being near a hen, turn towards him and take a few steps. If he doesn't back off, then you walk right over him, if you have to. The point is, always move towards him. Not next to or around him, but always directly towards.

I've got a different take on this situation. This cockrel is already being a bad boy, and isn't going to turn out well. My good cockrels never challenge me; they move away and pay attention to their flock mates instead. He's being a jerk and needs to be dinner for someone! Constant vigilance to keep from being attacked is no way to live with chickens; been there, done that. Never again! Plan on removing him from your flock and try next year if you want a rooster. Mary

He trusts me I mean

I think it's more a case of him tolerating you since you are currently supplying treats he could not get any other way.

A rooster doesn't attack because he doesn't trust the human, it's because he sees the human as a threat to his place in the flock. That is why the general actions you need to take are to assert your place in the flock, some will accept your place others will not.

Rooster shouldn't follow you, if your determined to keep him you will need to get it in his head that you are not to be messed with, use a broom or plastic rake to keep him away and to chase him, I use a plastic coffee can that I throw at them, use something that won't harm him but will give you an advantage, yours may be so cocky that he might want to fight, this is only going to get worst. Chase him if he runs from you, it may take a while, but Chase him ever time he's looking at you wrong, that's what a dominant rooster would do. Make sure he doesn't follow you, don't feed him from your hand, if you are persistent and successful you may win.

Back
Top Bottom