beth1004

Songster
Feb 11, 2018
Duluth, GA
23DAF564-2CE7-4001-BBDC-4DDE74640DEE.jpeg
070FE730-DDE1-41B8-9C36-690104996B8A.jpeg
FE1EA878-CF6E-48EE-8ED0-98EEDE193758.jpeg
Hey,
I have 3 Buff Orpingtons and was told they are were all pullets when I bought them. Some have started laying. We’ve been getting 2 or 3 eggs a day so I thought they were all hens. Today, one of the ‘hens’ was having a standoff with my barred rock rooster, he’s not the head honcho. Same BO’s comb stands up, doesn’t flop over although it is the same size as the hens. Guess I should include that I have a barred rock hen that is a month younger. The BO’s are 5.5 months old and the barred rock is 4.5months olds.

Your beautiful pullet appears to be on the verge of laying. I see a hen "profile", a cockerel being more upright in posture, and no pointy saddle and neck feathers which would indicate a cockerel.

Here's how to tell for sure. Kneel on the ground and get this hen between your knees with her head facing you. Find her two protruding pelvic bones on each side of her vent. If you can fit two fingers between the knobby protrusions, she's getting ready to lay.

If those bones are so close together that two fingers won't fit or one finger is almost impossible, it's a cockerel.

Looks like a pullet to me, too. Females will challenge males sometimes, especially young cockerels or subordinate roosters. It's natural selection-- she wants the toughest, most dominant male to father her chicks. If she feels like a rooster doesn't meet her standards she will either challenge him or leave him in the dust, if she can.

Looks like a pullet to me, too. Females will challenge males sometimes, especially young cockerels or subordinate roosters. It's natural selection-- she wants the toughest, most dominant male to father her chicks. If she feels like a rooster doesn't meet her standards she will either challenge him or leave him in the dust, if she can.

That’s awesome. It’s funny that my Silkie is the head rooster when the barred rock is twice his size. Now maybe it has to do with their names— the Silkie is Elvis and my beautiful barred rock is Lucy. I got 2 straight run barreds and named them Lucy and Ethel. Can’t change his name after all that time.

Your beautiful pullet appears to be on the verge of laying. I see a hen "profile", a cockerel being more upright in posture, and no pointy saddle and neck feathers which would indicate a cockerel.

Here's how to tell for sure. Kneel on the ground and get this hen between your knees with her head facing you. Find her two protruding pelvic bones on each side of her vent. If you can fit two fingers between the knobby protrusions, she's getting ready to lay.

If those bones are so close together that two fingers won't fit or one finger is almost impossible, it's a cockerel.
I’ll have to see if I can try that!

That’s awesome. It’s funny that my Silkie is the head rooster when the barred rock is twice his size. Now maybe it has to do with their names— the Silkie is Elvis and my beautiful barred rock is Lucy. I got 2 straight run barreds and named them Lucy and Ethel. Can’t change his name after all that time.
I'm sure he doesn't mind. If the barred rock male is young he might challenge the Silkie later on. Dynamics can shift pretty quickly when they are young. Or maybe Elvis will remain king. I'd keep an eye on them, especially if there aren't many pullets and hens.

I'm sure he doesn't mind. If the barred rock male is young he might challenge the Silkie later on. Dynamics can shift pretty quickly when they are young. Or maybe Elvis will remain king. I'd keep an eye on them, especially if there aren't many pullets and hens.
We have 8 hens/pullets. I have 2 Ameracauna cockerels to rehome.

Back
Top Bottom