Rooster

Retiree2013

Chirping
Nov 15, 2020
Have a question.. Probably answered else wheres, but. My birds are 19+- weeks old. My Sussex rooster has started crowing and mounting at least a couple of the hens
. Does this mean they , should start laying? OR? Have not seen any eggs yet. He started crowing about 4 days ago and doing his dance and mounting today.

Have a question.. Probably answered else wheres, but. My birds are 19+- weeks old. My Sussex rooster has started crowing and mounting at least a couple of the hens
. Does this mean they , should start laying? OR? Have not seen any eggs yet. He started crowing about 4 days ago and doing his dance and mounting today.
Not necessarily. The boys mature faster then the girls. They may not be welcoming his advances at this age. 😊
Signs to look out for in the girls are squatting and reddening of thier combs and wattles.

X2. My roo, Sir Henry the Loud, will and always has mounted Any Hen of Any Age (which is why he spends a lot of time in rooster prison, fenced in while everyone else is free ranging). Even through the fence, he does his best dance for the ladies. They don't care.

Am surprised he hasn't been crowing and mounting for a month or so already.
A rare cockerel will wait until the girls are close to laying.
Here's some tips about how to tell.....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom