Yotekiller95

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2020
Hen or rooster?

Attachments

• 636725E6-07A9-45BC-AC20-0A598F9E1D04.jpeg
    636725E6-07A9-45BC-AC20-0A598F9E1D04.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
There is hope. Depending on how small your kids are they can learn to show dominance over him. I’m not a chicken expert by any means but started out with a rooster. They challenge for dominance. My roo had kicked at my 8 year old once. Did no damage but it took only once for Fuzzy to realize he shouldn’t do that. I chased Fuzzy down until I got a hold of him and had my son hold him for a good 10 minutes. Everyone got to hold fuzzy in front of his babes. Fuzzy hated it. When we let him down his neck feathers were flat on his neck. This was two months ago. My son runs through our yard past Fuzzy. Now Fuzzy runs from my son instead of trying to attack him.
I’m not sure but maybe your roo sees you as submissive to him so he doesn’t feel the need to challenge you. I could be wrong but that’s how it was with my roo. He would sit on my lap and sleep with me. He was like that until he hit puberty. Then he started challenging me and I had to push back. Now I get a challenging dance from him once in awhile. Instead of every day. Hopefully something I’ve said has helped. 🙂
excellent advice. i can easily pick him up and have the kids hold him. i plan on keeping him until old age...possible through multiple flocks of laying hens.

any tips on roosters for behavior? i’ve grown up with chickens my whole life but never kept roosters. i have one out of 24 chickens. i hold him multiple times a week...he’ll fall asleep in my arms. i don’t touch the rest of the chickens ever. i just don’t want him to attack my small kids. however, he’s only tame to me. i am guessing he imprinted on me since i got him right when he hatched. his talons are definitely growing and the kids aren’t allowed in the actual coop anymore. any hope? i really like him but i’d have chicken soup before an injured kid.

any tips on roosters for behavior? i’ve grown up with chickens my whole life but never kept roosters. i have one out of 24 chickens. i hold him multiple times a week...he’ll fall asleep in my arms. i don’t touch the rest of the chickens ever. i just don’t want him to attack my small kids. however, he’s only tame to me. i am guessing he imprinted on me since i got him right when he hatched. his talons are definitely growing and the kids aren’t allowed in the actual coop anymore. any hope? i really like him but i’d have chicken soup before an injured kid.
That is an excellent question. You may want to create your own thread so the experts can find your question. I'm sure tons of people will have amazing advice 😊

Back
Top Bottom