Roosters?

Pullets can be pretty huge too, so size of the bird isn't always a good way of determining genders.
Thanks. I guess since the large white one and the black one have a comb like their fathers, while the spotted one has a regular comb, maybe that's throwing me off. I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks.

Thanks. I guess since the large white one and the black one have a comb like their fathers, while the spotted one has a regular comb, maybe that's throwing me off. I guess I'll have to wait a few more weeks.
Some birds take longer to show then others, so waiting is sometimes the best option to know for sure.

None of them seem like they are developing any male-specific pointed feathers, so I believe both of them are pullets. However, the paint one could be a cockerel because they have thick legs, but that could mean nothing.

None of them seem like they are developing any male-specific pointed feathers, so I believe both of them are pullets. However, the paint one could be a cockerel because they have thick legs, but that could mean nothing.
Hello, I'm back with another question about some chicks that hatched this morning from my barred olive egger. Is this considered a dot that would belong to a male that comes from a barred hen? Dad is not barred.

Attachments

• 20240309_102419.jpg
    20240309_102419.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 2
Hello, I'm back with another question about some chicks that hatched this morning from my barred olive egger. Is this considered a dot that would belong to a male that comes from a barred hen? Dad is not barred.
That would be male yes, if ths mother is Barred, & the rooster isn't.

I don't know how genetics work, that is one thing that I will never be able to comprehend unfortunately, so sorry, I am unable to help you with that.

These were born January 16th and I think they're roosters.
I think that would make them a bit less than 8 weeks old.

The really bright white one is significantly larger, and has been since hatching. That one and the black one have gotten really red on the combs and waddles this past week.
The size of the bird doesn't tell whether they are male or female.
But it is common for cockerels to get very red combs and wattles around that age, while pullets almost never do.

None of them seem like they are developing any male-specific pointed feathers, so I believe both of them are pullets.
If they are less than 8 weeks old, I would not expect them to be growing those male-specific feathers yet, even if they are male.

They are still young enough that combs & wattles tell more than most other traits, for most cockerels.

I see all cockerels
That is what I am thinking too, although I would be inclined to wait a little longer before doing anything permanent (if they are males, they should become even more obvious with time.)

Back
Top Bottom